Costing the next stage.

patp

The roof is on and windows are in, electrics, plumbing and heating in progress We borrowed from a family member to get to this stage to save having to sell our house and live in our caravan in the winter. We now need to decide whether to wait until the house sells to fund the next stage or to borrow some more now and be getting on with it in the better weather. So, any ideas how much, roughly, the plastering, carpentry, decorating, floor covering (possibly parquet), kitchen, utility and bathroom (1) and two en suites is likely to cost? Just to the nearest 5K will do. We are not talking high end kitchens and bathrooms. We have quite modest tastes but will not be buying rubbish. Wild guesses are acceptable :) 167 sq m bungalow.

So do a rough budget of £10k kitchen, £5k bathroom, £3k each en-suite, £2k utility. That’s your big blocks of supply and fit at roughly £23k. 

For the remainder you can estimate £200 a door, £150 per room for arcs and skirts, £500 per room board and skim. Add £250 per room for basic decorating. Then you can multiply it simply by number of rooms to get to a budgetary value. Don’t forget to include hallways (just ignore the doors unless they have them too).

So in this case a 3 bed with lounge, dining, kitchen etc would be 12 rooms so ~£13k to add to your £23k so with contingency of 10% I would be looking at £40k. 

If you want to use parquet then beware it can be expensive to both buy and lay. You can soon spend £30/m buying second hand and then £30/m laying and £15/m finishing it. Ask me how I know ..... ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, patp said:

Thanks guys :)

Blooming expensive this dream home thingy.

It is - but they are fag packets ..!!! Think about buying DIY Kitchens and adding on the utility - wish I had done something similar on a previous job and not ended up with a Howdens/DIY mix ..!