What should I be expecting?

Makeitstop

Hi BH people.

Can anyone offer some advice on what I should expect from a structural engineer (architect appointed) with respect to calcs for steels on a single story kitchen extension?

The steels are for the removal of a significant part of the existing rear external wall where there are currently French doors, in order to open up the space into the new structure. The steels are noted as being 4.6 metres long. There is no mention of how these are to be installed or fitted. There is no goal post arrangement for vertical support or any mention of padstones. The existing building and new structure is on piling and ringbeam type foundations.

What exactly is the expected "norm" for an engineer to produce for such a job?

So this depends on what the architect asked the engineer to do. One of them should have done the design, but I would expect it’s a pair of steels and on padstones. You can calculate those quite simply but expect they are 415x215x100 Naylors. 

I did think that there may need to be some kind of goal post setup, but no, it appears not. 

There is no mention of padstones either, which I thought the engineer would usually ensure is specified. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

The internal skin of the existing house is some kind of aerated block. It's certainly not med density type blocks from how they feel when drilling into them.

I'll speak to architect early next week, but thought I'd ask opinions here for what I should be able to expect of an engineer.

With reference to the above.

What do people make of this.....

Two images here, one showing layout for new small kitchen extension, with span for new opening across rear external wall denoted by red dotted line.

The other image shows one of the pages of beam calcs done for for one of the beams for that span.

Opinions?

Span.pdf beam B.pdf

Edited by Makeitstop

• 1 year later...

Those look like simple beam calcs to me (it’s a long time since I studied ‘structures’). It just answers the ‘how big should the beam be’ question. I would ask if they intend to provide construction drawings / specs or whether it’s assumed the rest of the detail is understood by the builder. This is not so dumb if the builder and the engineer regularly work together.

Alan

Edited by Alan Ambrose