Are all electrical fittings equal?

Triassic

I'm starting to consider where all the sockets, light switches and lfittings will go up in my soon to be started new build.

Having looked on line I see a wide disparity in prices, this left me wondering if all electrical fittings are equal. Are some brands best given a miss and which ones would you add to your Best Buy list.

Edited by Triassic

Guest Alphonsox

In the big scheme of things a few pence per switch/socket extra is noise. We fitted MK, sourced largely through Screwfix (local electrical factors could not compete on price). The quality has taken a step back up to where it was 15 years ago. Recommended.

MK went IMO through a "bad" phase particularly with terminal screws shearing easily but seems to be fixed now.

Have a look at Click from Scolmore. Various ranges; Click Mode if you want regular white. Click Deco if you go fancy/shiny. MiniGrid if you want.....well grid switches

Hager Sollysta are quality too.

Varilight are another to consider.

But back to MK. I would recommend them all day long as "the" go to. You can get them anywhere for a start. Just bought some as straight replacements myself.

Order yourself a free TLC catalogue, it's really well laid out with pretty pictures of a good few makes:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/catalogue-requests/new

We fitted MK Logik everywhere, chosen after looking at quite a load of rubbish stuff.  According to the grapevine, MK outsourced manufacture some years ago and quality went downhill, but all the stuff we bought was clearly marked "Made in the UK".  The very worst stuff seems to be the Chinese stuff, sold under various brand names in the big DIY sheds.  I'm particularly averse to the crap Screwfix sell under the Lap brand name, and suspect it's made somewhere where quality control is near non-existent.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the MK stuff, my only gripe was with the price of the big box for the combination plate; that was a totally silly price for what it is.

+1 for MK Logic

It's a good middle ground between the no-name white sockets and the more expensive metallic stuff. I never use the latter as you always find that a few years down the line when you want to add another socket or change a light switch you can never find the same finish.

Also highly recommend TLC Direct as a supplier. Used to live near them and they are real old-school knowledgeable about the products they sell.