Downpipe Gullys

I know opinions vary, but I am keen to use shoes at the bottom of the downpipes because I actually like the look as well as the functional benefits they offer (interesting link). I therefore expect we'll be using inline bottle gullies with a grating under each downpipe shoe. Below is a diagram of the setup.

That leaves me with some questions:

1. I presume the rectangular ones are for when you also have a tap above the gully, or an outlet from a kitchen sink for example?
  2. Concrete gully surrounds seem like a problem waiting to happen as if the gully blocks the surround will fill up and expose the wall to standing water. They can add to the look and would stop leaves etc being blown onto the gully's grate. What am I missing here? Can you get 4 sided gully surrounds?

image.png.09fc5f1516f0d89781949bbd2b58eb0a.png

image.png.af684ca57e27599e69bc84e495039898.png

Edited by MortarThePoint

58 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I presume the rectangular ones are for when you also have a tap above the gully, or an outlet from a kitchen sink for example?

Not unless you have a combined sewer as you can’t put rainwater and kitchen outlets into to the same system. 

8 minutes ago, nod said:

Due to all the nearby trees They quickly blocked up 

Fit gutter hedgehogs to the gutters and first 6” of the down pipe and that sorts the problem. Clean them once a year ..!

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not unless you have a combined sewer as you can’t put rainwater and kitchen outlets into to the same system. 

Fit gutter hedgehogs to the gutters and first 6” of the down pipe and that sorts the problem. Clean them once a year ..!

More than once a year 

We have hundreds of the spiny geni trees  Sycamore I think 

We have 80mm downpipes going straight into 110mm drain socket via a rubber adaptor. We have huge leaf fall due to lot of broad leaf trees. This has blocked gutters but never blocked the drain. I think an open gulley might be more inclined to collect leaves and block.