Floor Tiling Timings & Step Detail

Barney12

Hi All

Two questions in relation to floor tiles. We're intending to have 600x600mm porcelain floor tiles throughout our ground floor.

Q1: What do you normally do with steps? As we have a 600mm level change in our ground floor (see green rings in image below)

Q2. How long should I allow in the schedules for a tiler to complete the ground floor (power floated concrete, so should be level and smooth):

121 sq meters:

2017-02-12_12-59-54.jpg.be049ed2f50f382d8eacb73bcc30f7f6.jpg

TIA!

Edited by Barney12
Wrong type of tile quotes. Changed to porcelain from ceramic

Phew. You said ceramic but I'd have tried to steer you away from laying that much ceramic as its not usually 'through colour' like porcelain is and any little chips or dings show horribly. 

Porcelain is far hardier too, so happy days.

An important point is to double check with the supplier whether or not the tiles need sealing. Some also come with a protective wax coating ( thanks for that B&Q :| ) which is an absolute bastard to get off completely. 

Dont just take the smiley salespersons word for it, get them to contact the manufacturer and have them confirm what does / doesn't need doing to the tiles to complete the installation. 

Get a sample tile and take it home. Spill some red wine on it, drop a tea bag on it, and see if marker pen leaves its 'mark'. A previous customer of mine ordered just over 100m2 of Pergamon porcelain 600x600's from Porcelanosa and after the tea bag test the customer let out a strange noise, rang them, and said "come get your f'ng tiles". They came with a replacment load and swapped the tiles out for ones which didn't mark if someone in a different country sneezed. 

All tiles are not created equal, you've been warned ;)

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Phew. You said ceramic but I'd have tried to steer you away from laying that much ceramic as its not usually 'through colour' like porcelain is and any little chips or dings show horribly. 

Porcelain is far hardier too, so happy days.

An important point is to double check with the supplier whether or not the tiles need sealing. Some also come with a protective wax coating ( thanks for that B&Q :| ) which is an absolute bastard to get off completely. 

Dont just take the smiley salespersons word for it, get them to contact the manufacturer and have them confirm what does / doesn't need doing to the tiles to complete the installation. 

Get a sample tile and take it home. Spill some red wine on it, drop a tea bag on it, and see if marker pen leaves its 'mark'. A previous customer of mine ordered just over 100m2 of Pergamon porcelain 600x600's from Porcelanosa and after the tea bag test the customer let out a strange noise, rang them, and said "come get your f'ng tiles". They came with a replacment load and swapped the tiles out for ones which didn't mark if someone in a different country sneezed. 

All tiles are not created equal, you've been warned ;)

Thank for the tips, nothing's simple eh! 

The tiles are actually direct from British Ceramic Tile (BCT) as a special order. But I'll see if I can get a single for the tea test. 

20170211_132150523_iOS.thumb.jpg.8a24567538eefa4095f970be4bc79ed5.jpg

At least you've chosen a sensible colour, which should negate the problems described in my last. ;)

Pergamon tiles with jasmine grout wasn't a great idea for a full ground floor TBH, but the lady wasn't for turning.

I do try to advise people, but I only say things once as anything after that often causes offence. 

And i'm know for my subtlety :ph34r: