Open Fire

Alfarrow

I’ve got an open fire which I burn coal and logs on. Having a problem with the render that’s been reapplied twice (by chimney sweep)  since Xmas cracking and crumbling off. Any tips of anything different that can be used and if it’s safe to use in its current state where the firebricks are now visible?

770AF46D-C853-4BAB-9BD7-7B3CB36AFA79.jpeg

Open fires are about as bad as it comes in regards to performance and you should really look at replacing it with a multi fuel stove, it will be sooooooo much better. 

Edited by Cpd

11 hours ago, Alfarrow said:

I’ve got an open fire which I burn coal and logs on. Having a problem with the render that’s been reapplied twice (by chimney sweep)  since Xmas cracking and crumbling off. Any tips of anything different that can be used and if it’s safe to use in its current state where the firebricks are now visible?

770AF46D-C853-4BAB-9BD7-7B3CB36AFA79.jpeg

I prefer to do it one of 2 ways, proper brick back and pointed up, or use a cast insert piece. It looks like brick behind there, I would chip the render off and just redo the brick properly. It will look nicer. If a real mess pull them out and rebuild it. 

I don't think render ever works that well in the firebox.

Yes, the stove will contain most of the heat, you just need to leave the gap around the stove depending on what stove. Most houses have a “builders opening” and this is infilled to give the required size for the open fire. This can be removed as long as a lintel is in place in the builders opening.

30BF6AF4-DBE8-4349-86EB-A892EFA05359.jpeg