Services to timber home under caravan regs

Brovashift

Hi all,

Im am interested in building one of those timber frame homes on some land that apparently do not need planning permission as they fall under caravan regulations due to them being considered non permanent structures. 

I was just wondering if anyone knows the situation with hooking up to services with one of these builds i.e. would hooking up to mains water, sewerage, main electric/gas etc. class this type of build a permanent structure, and so require all the usual stuff re planning applications?

I dont know for sure, but would've thought for something like this to be covered under caravan regs alone it would have to function similar to a caravan, with regards to water and gas (bottles) anyway.

My next question was going to be regarding 'cost'...

If anyone knows about this stuff and can shed some light, it'd be a appreciated.

Thanks 

Rob

2 hours ago, Brovashift said:

Im am interested in building one of those timber frame homes on some land that apparently do not need planning permission as they fall under caravan regulations due to them being considered non permanent structures. 

Unfortunately its not that simple. What is the land currently used for? You might need planning permission for "change of use."

• Thanks 1

You WILL need planning permission unless the land already has planning, or a certificate of lawful development, for a "Caravan"

It is building regulations that a portable building is exempt from, but the drainage connection still needs building regs.

If your building is truly mobile then you can use it for 28 days each year without PP then move it to a different location.

If it was as simple as buy a bit of land, put a caravan on it and live in it without any permission, the whole of the SE of England would be full of fields of caravans.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys,

To be honest this is my first time looking into these kind of projects, and was only considering it after seeing the quality of some of these timber structures by companies on ebay of all places.

Going off what you've said, to require planning for specific land use, and the structures inability to be moved easily (28 days), and the necessity for planning re ground works/water... might as well apply for full planning of a permanent structure, as I dont see any benefits to these 'caravan regs' that these companies use to make out like its easy.

I had considered purchasing land with an old burnt down bungalow on, as the services would already be on site. But the £30k ish that some of these timber buildings cost would probably be better spent rebuilding the fire damaged bungalow. 

Thanks again.