Conditional approval for loft conversion

Cresswelle

Hi all. Just after some advice please. I’ve received conditional approval for my loft conversion but one of the conditions has me concerned 

1. The existing structure must be proven as being suitable to support the additional loads of the new structure prior to commencement. Compliance with this condition is very much in the owners interest as any remedial strengthening work to the existing structure will have an important bearing on the overall cost of the project.

is this just a standard condition. The SE says it is and most people don’t have to prove it. 

Does this sound right? 

thanks Emma 

Thank you. We’re having a side extension at the same time and the SE was asked about the load referring to a column supporting where the wall is being removed but nothing about the general stability of the house. Just got me worried that’s all. I presume the inspector will look at the existing foundations when digging starts and will raise any concerns. 

On Something like an extension Your builder will dig the footings out Then call building control to inspect prior to pouring the concrete Quite informal If he needs anything else he will tell you 

Once he’s involved you won’t have anymore dealings with planners 

Good luck 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cresswelle said:

is this just a standard condition.

Yes it is. The BCO wants confirmation (usually via an engineer) that the existing structural elements are suitable to receive the additional loading. These elements usually include but are not limited to lintels, steels and foundations.

• Thanks 1