New build - any thoughts on draft plans!?

SeanCrowley

Hi there,

We are new build newbies (what have we let ourselves in for!), now have quite developed plans for planning permission (attached).

In case anyone has any suggestions would love to hear any thoughts people may have. We really love the look of the contemporary back, but we aren't completely sold by the front at the moment (not sure why) - though the front does need to be a bit more traditional to ensure that planning permission is not a problem. The other thing we are definitely changing is the size of the family bathroom upstairs so that it is a bit bigger, but any other thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Proposed plans.pdf

Hi Sean, looks nice. What type of cladding is on the outside ?

My only comment and it's purely from a constructability end is maybe look at the bathroom locations with regards what you plan to do with the soil stacks.

Best of luck with your build ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Planning usually prefer a traditional or modern approach, smashing the two together doesn't always go down that well! 

What way is the building orientated, do you have a site plan?

Hi! Site plan is just a sketch at the moment, attached. The back of the building is north west. Thanks! 

Screenshot_20210219-205025_Drive.jpg

1 hour ago, Ronan 1 said:

Hi Sean, looks nice. What type of cladding is on the outside ?

My only comment and it's purely from a constructability end is maybe look at the bathroom locations with regards what you plan to do with the soil stacks.

Best of luck with your build ?

Thanks so much! Yes good point about soil pipes. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I quite like the single storey bit giving a good balance between living and bedroom space.

I don't quite get the elevations but maybe it will be fine when completed.  I think I would want to see a 3d render before I committed to this.

Great thanks, yes I think we do need to understand the elevations at the front. We just have sketches at the moment (below). Really happy with the rear elevations but bits to think about for the front I think 

Screenshot_20210219-205350_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-205409_Drive.jpg

All that glass at the front will have a cost implication and if there is no view from the front, you'd have to ask if it's worth it. Plus, if it doesn't have a view, will it impact on your privacy? It's difficult to give too much opinion on such a basic plan and not knowing the setting, obviously, you will be highly familiar with all of these aspects and so it will be much easier for you.

Secondly, the plan does seem to give limited storage for coats and shoes and so I wonder if you might gain from changing the first floor glass to a normal window and adding a pitched roof porch. It would give a bit more visual interest from the from the front, would provide storage for all your coats and boots, would stop visitors seeing straight in to your house and be part funded by the deleted glazing. It would also offer an airlock so all your heat doesn't disappear when you open the door for a parcel etc.  

19 minutes ago, Matt60 said:

All that glass at the front will have a cost implication and if there is no view from the front, you'd have to ask if it's worth it. Plus, if it doesn't have a view, will it impact on your privacy? It's difficult to give too much opinion on such a basic plan and not knowing the setting, obviously, you will be highly familiar with all of these aspects and so it will be much easier for you.

Secondly, the plan does seem to give limited storage for coats and shoes and so I wonder if you might gain from changing the first floor glass to a normal window and adding a pitched roof porch. It would give a bit more visual interest from the from the front, would provide storage for all your coats and boots, would stop visitors seeing straight in to your house and be part funded by the deleted glazing. It would also offer an airlock so all your heat doesn't disappear when you open the door for a parcel etc.  

Thanks thats helpful will definitely give that some thought, cheers