Cheap Generator Hire?

hmpmarketing

Hi guys,

Could anyone recommend where I could get cheap diesel/petrol generator hire? I will need one for a few weeks (electricity onsite wont be ready until end of March), minimum 10KVA.

I was thinking about buying instead of hiring as I have seen rates of over £300 a week which I am finding to be quite expensive!

Thanks for your thoughts

6 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

What are you running that you need something that big,?

Expect to pay at least £5k for anything even half decent,

House builder uses what they call "farm heaters" to dry paint/etc inside the house, hence the need, they use 3 of these consecutively 

3 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

i saw it  /cross posted. this all sounds very expensive just so they can use heaters to dry plaster. gut feeling says buy a 3-5 KVA Jenny and just hire another couple when they have finished plastering for a week

Yea, I agree. I will discuss this, need to get this sorted in 2 weeks time :)

2 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Thanks for the link :)

not sure if thats an option, will see site manager next week and discuss....they will need for 3 weeks

For 3 weeks hire,

I'm surprised you guys don't know the rule of hire Vs buy,?

2 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

OK,

Hire vs Buy

It's the 13 week rule, 

On week 14 you could have bought whatever it was you hired for the same money,

Try it,?

gotcha!

I did a search on eBay for 10kva generators to buy, as i have no experience with this type of equipment, can one assume that a £1k 8kw generator is crap?

Kw isn't the same as kva,,,,,

It may be ok, once you hit about 6kva for some reason prices seem to jump massively,

It could just be a Genny on its 5th or 6th owner, and each has took their little bit of lose on it.

I Wouldn't be buying it blind though,

1 minute ago, Steptoe said:

Kw isn't the same as kva,,,,,

It may be ok, once you hit about 6kva for some reason prices seem to jump massively,

It could just be a Genny on its 5th or 6th owner, and each has took their little bit of lose on it.

I Wouldn't be buying it blind though,

Sorry i meant one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-Generator-8-00Kw-10KVa-Recoil-Electric-Start-Site-Generator-/302218181901?hash=item465d9b7d0d:g:MfgAAOSwo4pYmeCO

Just now, Steptoe said:

Run away,!!!!

It's cheap for a reason,

It's petrol,!!

Yea I figured being Petrol would be cheap. However I wont need it for a long run, so forgetting the petrol/diesel thing, I was wondering if this would be enough (and dont breakdown when mostly needed!!!!)

21 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Yea, I agree. I will discuss this, need to get this sorted in 2 weeks time :)

Errr pardon me for being thick but....

Are you going timber frame or blockwork build..? I thought you had just poured founds so when do they think they will have you wind and water tight and first fix done..? And why the rush to dry it out..?