What did you do with yourself after you finished your build?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

(with the proviso that we work normal hours and the xbox is used sparingly)

Good luck with that one! Right now I have a semi finished wooden paddleboard and a downhill mountain bike frame with all the bits lying around to go onto it that my son wanted to do during lockdown 1 (paddleboard) and lockdown 3 (mtb). They can't even compete with the Xbox ? but he just going on 13. Not that I'm cynical at all. Aerospace engineering is a tough degree so good luck to your son.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SimonD said:

That's what's scaring me a little, and my wife. Because our boys seem to have a tendency to destroy stuff, we're going for a 'family' fit out, i.e. not spending massive money on interior finish but making it simple and hard wearing. Budget is also getting really tight (I can't believe how much money has been sunk into the fabric, nor how much more everything has cost compared to initial budget) so I can already imagine that in a similar time to you I'm going to be redoing a load of stuff.

In order to get my house built and complete the shower I put in was a major compromise. It was just as simple as it was all I could afford at the time. Now I have got enough time,money and the actual will to redo it  it's time has come this weekend. 

Every single one here building will some where along the course of the build have to make a choice of what they want and what they can afford. It's just how it goes. But the important thing is to just get the build finished to the best possible balance of what you want and what the wallet says you can buy.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Whatever size you build it, it will be too small very quickly. My workshop is 10m x 8m and it’s already full and wished I had built bigger ?

Don't I know it! In our last place I had a double garage that was filled with 4 motorbikes and 7 mountain bikes, and a whole load of engineering equipment. A lovely old Myford ML7, welding station, you name it. The garage was flat roofed so I had to put on a sloped overroof as extra storage and then that filled up with parts! I sorely miss it as it's all in a storage unit now during the builld. I've mostly missed my welding equipment during this build as there are loads of things that crop up where it would really come in handy.

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Whatever size you build it, it will be too small very quickly. My workshop is 10m x 8m and it’s already full and wished I had built bigger ?

Wise words 

I don’t think we have ever had anyone on here saying I wish I’d made my plant room smaller 

Good point with the workshop 

My wife has already stated 

Double garage with an attached workshop With just one key ?

12 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Every single one here building will some where along the course of the build have to make a choice of what they want and what they can afford. It's just how it goes. But the important thing is to just get the build finished to the best possible balance of what you want and what the wallet says you can buy.

Too right, when you're in the thick of it, it can get you down having to pair back plans and find the right balance. Surprisingly it's also a lot of effort to keep juggling these decision - it has sometimes really worn me out. It's good to have a reminder it's not just me but the reality of self-building.

37 minutes ago, nod said:

I’m looking forward to doing the next one 

But in wanting to conclude the plot deal I agreed to buy the second plot and field behind 

So we will do this next one then make a division to do the second or let someone else have it 

From a financial point of view there seems little out there that’s a better investment 

Sounds like an exciting project. If you gain from the tax advantages of self-build and you know what you're doing it does seem like this kind of thing can be a good investment.

7 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Sounds like an exciting project. If you gain from the tax advantages of self-build and you know what you're doing it does seem like this kind of thing can be a good investment.

It is

We will clear around 300k from the first one Tax free 

Which will more than cover the next one