Permitted Development during extension works.

nfoote

We're currently undergoing an extension to our detached house which we have planning permission for; converting the GF garage into living space and demolishing an existing FF extension above the garage and replacing it with a larger FF extension the entire length of that side of the house.

The original house was built with a room in the roof space and the previous owners added a rear dormer for another bathroom. While the new FF extension roof ridge is lower than the original house, to get the extension its subservient appearance, we've realised now that the roof trusses are up there is still a lot of potentially usable space in that new loft area if we cut into the existing in-roof rooms and re-organised things a bit as a large combined space. The builder has already added proper floor joists through the area thinking it would have been storage.

All of that could be completely internal works, but wanting to make the most of every possibility I'm now wondering if we're able to add another rear dormer into the new extension roof. It'd be smaller than the existing one but would add more usable full head height.

I'd think we could do that under permitted development at some later point, but while the builders are here and the scaffolding is up it would make most sense to just get it done now, even if we don't actually fit out the internal space as a room yet, just get the dormer done and dusted.

So question is, can we add things into the scope of the build that could be done under PD later on, even though they weren't included in the planning permission detailing the current build?

You cannot utilise PD on an extension as PD relates to the ‘original’ house. If you’re looking to deal with it post completion of the extension, you’d have to submit another Householder application. There may be an option to deal with it now but you’d need to speak to the Planning Officer to establish the best way to deal with it. A Variation of Condition/Section 73 application may be an option.

3 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

You cannot utilise PD on an extension as PD relates to the ‘original’ house. If you’re looking to deal with it post completion of the extension, you’d have to submit another Householder application. There may be an option to deal with it now but you’d need to speak to the Planning Officer to establish the best way to deal with it. A Variation of Condition/Section 73 application may be an option.

Ok great, seems pretty clear cut, thanks!

• 4 months later...

I have been given contrary advice to what @DevilDamo has said in this thread. My planning consultant told me that after our extension (which we got approved by way of a planning application) is finished, we can convert our loft under PD, as long as no aspect of the loft conversion touches any aspect of the extension obtained under planning. So I would have thought that it is fine for @nfoote to add bits to his roof under PD as long as he starts those bits after he has finished his extension.

10 hours ago, Adsibob said:

My planning consultant told me that after our extension (which we got approved by way of a planning application) is finished,

Finished means you have completed the agreed scheme of works under the planning permission, usually by way of a final building regulations completion certificate. 

10 hours ago, Adsibob said:

as long as no aspect of the loft conversion touches any aspect of the extension obtained under planning

That is partially correct - PD refers to the building as complete so you get PD rights on the new bit too as long as you don’t step over the rules about the existing properly (ie 50% rule)

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Finished means you have completed the agreed scheme of works under the planning permission, usually by way of a final building regulations completion certificate. 

My understanding is that there is no legal definition of “finished” and that it will vary from Council to Council as to how they apply the concept of finished. Ultimately, the Building Regs department is separate (and doesn’t really talk to) the PD or planning departments. So whilst a building regs certificate is useful evidence of something being finished, I’m not sure we will be able to get that before we have to start our loft conversion. So we are just going to finish the external shell of the ground and first floor, take plenty of photos that evidence that it is all finished from the outside, and then serve our building regs commencement notice in respect of the loft and start the loft. This will be about 8 months after we served the BR commencement notice in respect of the scheme approved by planning, which actually coincides with the builder’s original estimate for doing the whole project. Do you think we are taking a big risk?