Takes less time, but is more expensive?

GC1

4 minutes ago, FM2015 said:

£1500 for wage

Interesting thanks. 

£1500 at say £200/day is 2 workers for 4 days approx.  Is this concrete pour only?

On 24/12/2021 at 09:01, JohnMo said:

2 of us working 5 days a week, took 4 weeks to build our walls.

40 days at £200 is another £8,000

On 24/12/2021 at 09:01, JohnMo said:

can pour concrete at -6 deg I believe.

Plus 3 degrees and rising is the normal rule. Freezing of concrete is disastrous.

Or do they say that the polystyrene is enough insulation to keep the warm concrete warm?

15 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

-6 is from Durisol build manual.

Interesting. Curing concrete gives off heat so they are allowing that this is contained within the blocks.

Might even get too hot in summer.

17 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

the 2nd guy £10 hour,

Is he available?

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Interesting. Curing concrete gives off heat so they are allowing that this is contained within the blocks.

Might even get too hot in summer.

Bear in mind where most ICF gets used and see what conditions they pump and fill ICF in.  If they waited for it to be -6, they'd waste two thirds of a year!! And in the summer it can be +30

11 minutes ago, FM2015 said:

Bear in mind where most ICF gets used and see what conditions they pump and fill ICF in.  If they waited for it to be -6, they'd waste two thirds of a year!! And in the summer it can be +30

You don't wait til it's -6, that's the lowest temperature, not seeing why you would have an issue in summer.

Quote from manual "The insulating properties of Durisol Wall Forms allow winter construction without additional 
heating or insulation sources being required. Durisol wall systems have been constructed in temperatures as low as 22 °F (- 6°C) without any complication."

23 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Is he available?

No

32 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

an issue in summer.

When pouring mass concrete it is sometimes essential to use chilled aggregate, so that the concrete doesn't get too hot when the heat of hydration kicks in..

I don't know at what temperature though. I assume that it would be mentioned if that applied in this case.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

You don't wait til it's -6, that's the lowest temperature, not seeing why you would have an issue in summer.

You miss my point.  In some countries they have much colder weather than here and it doesn't stop them pouring.  Not sure what North American opinion is on woodcrete.