Deciding Velux height

MortarThePoint

Above the garage we're having a home office with large windows at the ends (1800 x 1200, top about 2175 above floor). The front and rear roof pitches will have velux windows on and I can't decide what height to have them at. If I align the top of the velux reveal with the top of the end window reveal, the velux is pretty high, and the bottom of the glass will be above eye line when sat down. Is it going to look bad to have the top of the velux reveals lower than the end window top as shown below?

picture shows velux frame outline in dark blue:

image.thumb.png.c0d9db6e73e52f6f4d8910dcbdd40e11.png

Edited by MortarThePoint

Surely function is more important than the visuals in this situation... the Velux are on the roof so I can’t see how the aesthetics will clash with the gable end window. I have 4 velux in my roof and they have nothing in common with my gable windows and it all looks good. Maybe I have not understood your plan.... but i would be placing them where they best serve the occupants.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Surely function is more important than the visuals in this situation... the Velux are on the roof so I can’t see how the aesthetics will clash with the gable end window. I have 4 velux in my roof and they have nothing in common with my gable windows and it all looks good. Maybe I have not understood your plan.... but i would be placing them where they best serve the occupants.  

Having the bottom of the velux window at or below about 1225mm would allow me to see down the drive whilst sat at a desk which I think is really useful.

11 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Its plain clay tile. Is that because it has to fit to tile coursing?

Yes - when mine were fitted the window has to be within a certain distance form the tile

Edited by wozza

11 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Fitting with tile coursing/gauge makes sense but I think that makes for about 70mm steps in height

You don't have much choice - the window has to be fitted a certain distance from the tile below to allow the flashing etc to fit

I have only fitted them to my roof with Redland Regent (concrete tiles will a bold roll style pattern) - if your tiles are flat you may be able to get creative and cut them in half etc but if not  like mine its a certain distance from the tile. 

Your other option is to adjust the coursing / gauge so the tiles fit to the window.

Look at the fitting instructions for the window and you will see.

Edited by wozza
  • Thanks 1