Window fitting tips for when I eventually get there.

dnb

I plan to fit aluminium frame widows into my SIPS build very shortly with any luck so would really appreciate some advice, mainly about which products to use to give best chance of air tightness.

The winow supplier suggests that expanding foam round the windows on both sides will provide insulation and help achieve good air tightness. The windows should be screwed into the SIPS through the thermal break using self drilling fixings that will go into the wood by at least 50mm and shimmed appropriately to prevent frame distortion.

I am wondering if these are the best materials or if Compriband or similar would give noticably better performance? I understand that air tightness tape to the VCL is needed whatever the outcome.

I've fitted 2 new windows and 2 s/hand uPVC doors myself in the last couple of years.

I think the best window "fit" for draughts and noise was the one using Illbruck (Compriband by another make) tape AND then LOW expansion foam. The other window and 2 doors were just foamed. 

(Got to redo one door sometime as I rushed it and it's pi$$ed).

I'd keep your doors / windows shut whilst the foam sets, even if low expansion.