Parts of a house

How far do you want to go? Builders Merchants will offer to give you a quote based off plans, so must use some sort of estimation technique.

On my own build, I tried to be as accurate as possible- I built the house in Sketchup and then added up how many studs, rafters, etc etc and from that could order the timber that I needed. Very slow process even with a tiny house that I knew intimately, and inevitably some detailing deviated slightly from the initial plan as the build progressed. It's always a good idea to round up when estimating quantities!

When I did my original budget estimate I noted down the first reasonable price that I could get for things, generally on line or in some cases on the phone. Then when the time came to purchase, I hunted around much harder to get better deals. This has almost completely offset any increases in materials or omissions, and has meant that the budget has stayed within a few hundred pounds of my original figure, which is quite remarkable really.

Like you we struggled to understand whether or not we could afford what it was we intended to build. There were some helpful guides but they were only offering "ball park" figures. We needed something more forensic.

For us, in order to move forward, we sent our plans to one of the various online estimators - total cost of £150 or so. We talked over the phone to iron out a few things and they provided us with a full breakdown of items required to build our house.

I have to say, it has put us on a good footing and allowed me to develop the budgets thereafter, by comparing what it takes to build a house with items I could source independently.

Probably the best £150 I have spent so far on this project because it allowed me to move forward with some confidence.

PW.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

For us, in order to move forward, we sent our plans to one of the various online estimators - total cost of £150 or so. We talked over the phone to iron out a few things and they provided us with a full breakdown of items required to build our house.

I

Probably the best £150 I have spent so far on this project because it allowed me to move forward with some confidence.

I did this too - had a few issues to start with but got a result in the end.

I converted the spreadsheet they provided into a fully working formula driven spreadsheet so I could change rates and values easily.

But likewise, best £150 I've spent so far..!!

• Like 1