When should FENSA certificate be issued?

Brix

Hello.

My ex is looking to sell her flat. She had Crittal windows replaced with a modern metal alternative - quite pricey stuff. The install was practically complete in March last year - almost a year ago. She raised some fitting issues with it but the installer insisted that it was properly fitted and has turned up with various bits of equipment to demonstrate that there is no draft and sound reduction works. I have some experience with sound and noted that he was testing incorrectly (e.g. only measuring the background noise level with the windows closed, rather than the differential between the levels with windows open and closed). Some seals visibly do not meet - he said that they don't need to because there is more than one seal. In some places if you close the windows on a sheet of paper it holds it tight as you would expect - in others the paper just slides out. Nevertheless he insists it is all as it should be.

We have been in direct contact with the system designer and they are clear that there is either a manufacturing issue or an install issue. The installer has been promising to meet with the designers on site but the meeting has not materialised.

Anyway - she is now selling the flat and needs the FENSA certificate. The installer - who has repeatedly denied that there is any issue - says he cannot issue the warranty or the FENSA certificates because she has raised issues. But he still does not accept there is anything wrong with them and is not taking any action to put things right.

Surely there is nothing to prevent him issuing the FENSA certificate and warranty docs?

(I'm starting to wonder whether the product is a fake?)

Edited by Brix

21 hours ago, Brix said:

Hello.

My ex is looking to sell her flat. She had Crittal windows replaced with a modern metal alternative - quite pricey stuff. The install was practically complete in March last year - almost a year ago. She raised some fitting issues with it but the installer insisted that it was properly fitted and has turned up with various bits of equipment to demonstrate that there is no draft and sound reduction works. I have some experience with sound and noted that he was testing incorrectly (e.g. only measuring the background noise level with the windows closed, rather than the differential between the levels with windows open and closed). Some seals visibly do not meet - he said that they don't need to because there is more than one seal. In some places if you close the windows on a sheet of paper it holds it tight as you would expect - in others the paper just slides out. Nevertheless he insists it is all as it should be.

We have been in direct contact with the system designer and they are clear that there is either a manufacturing issue or an install issue. The installer has been promising to meet with the designers on site but the meeting has not materialised.

Anyway - she is now selling the flat and needs the FENSA certificate. The installer - who has repeatedly denied that there is any issue - says he cannot issue the warranty or the FENSA certificates because she has raised issues. But he still does not accept there is anything wrong with them and is not taking any action to put things right.

Surely there is nothing to prevent him issuing the FENSA certificate and warranty docs?

(I'm starting to wonder whether the product is a fake?)

I think he is trying to be smart with her, what he is saying is, if their is an issue then how can he provide a cert? If you say you accept it all the cert will appear I'd say.

At the detriment to the buyer of the house I would be tempted just to ask for the cert and move on. It won't be her problem soon, I know that is a terrible attitude but is she going to let the whole sale be held up because of probably, one of the most ridiculous certificates in the history of man. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Thanks both - sorry I did not get notifications of replies!

He agreed last week to issue the FENSA and warranty and to get the product designer / owner in to assess the job. He's now reneged on all of that and said that and he wants a declaration that she is satisfied with the job.

The product owner is Smart Systems. They are understandably being cautiously on the fence but seem to acknowledge that the photos show issues. They will not inspect site unless requested by the installer or the manufacturer - neither of whom are inviting them on site. They don't seem particularly concerned that the installer is saying that gaps between parts of the frame, and gaps between seals and the frame when closed are just a feature of the windows. It's a £5000 window!

The only reason I can imagine that the installer does not want an inspection is that the manufacturer was not licensed to produce the frames (they will not confirm who the manufacturer is). 

4 hours ago, Temp said:

According to this you can order a copy of a Fensa certificate from Fensa but only if they have sent one to them. Costs £25. Nice earner for their photocopier..

https://forms.fensa.org.uk/fensa-certificate

You might try looking up your place to see if they know about it yet.

Unfortunately the installer has not registered it yet.