Hello, looking for peoples thoughts on what these cracks might be on this house? Horizontal and vertical. The vertical cracks don't go through the brickwork to the ground, but the one near the corner where it goes into the window and out again at the top goes right through and can be seen inside. The walls are single block built 1960s. I am concerned it could be subsidence? But I would have thought the cracks would be seen going to the ground as that's where the movement would start? It looks like the cracks have been patched up in the past, but the plaster has cracked again! I would be grateful to hear peoples thoughts on what this might be! Thanks 

20210123_153437.jpg

20210123_153422.jpg

20210123_153411.jpg

20210123_153407.jpg

20210123_153401.jpg

20210123_153348.jpg

20210123_153344.jpg

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I don’t  think that is subsidence as no evidence of cracking in the brick plinth. More likely lack of expansion joints and the render has cracked and water has got in and you’ve got freeze / thaw cracking. 

Would a lack of expansion joints cause the crack to go through to the inside? Can this be rectified? Thanks 

Difficult to tell from the photos, is it just these areas ..? And how is this related to the property overall ...? Are these on the same wall..? Opposite corners ..?

Windows look reasonably new, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there were no lintels in the openings so removing the old windows and allowing the UPVC frames to take the load would allow some movement. 

Is this your house or one you are buying ..?  

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Difficult to tell from the photos, is it just these areas ..? And how is this related to the property overall ...? Are these on the same wall..? Opposite corners ..?

Windows look reasonably new, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there were no lintels in the openings so removing the old windows and allowing the UPVC frames to take the load would allow some movement. 

Is this your house or one you are buying ..?  

House I am looking to buy! The horizontal cracks are on the one side, most of the vertical cracks are on the next wall around, with one on the another side. Mainly on the two walls next to each other. 

Yes I am told the windows are fairly new too, not sure about lintels. 

The house was built by the man who lived there all his life.

Do you think there could be a way of fixing this or stopping it getting worse? I am concerned a wall might fall down or something! Probably overthinking!

Thank you

Get the view of the surveyor - and ask them tk specifically review those points. 

31 minutes ago, Jose F said:

The house was built by the man who lived there all his life.

Always a slight concern .... do all the changes or structures have building regulations and planning approval ..??

34 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Get the view of the surveyor - and ask them tk specifically review those points. 

Always a slight concern .... do all the changes or structures have building regulations and planning approval ..??

Not sure about these points but I will be getting it surveyed! Thank you for your input :)

9 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Looks to me like roof pushing the tops of the wall out, no dragon tie or binder? 

Thats an interesting point, I'm not sure! If there isn't already, would doing this now be a fix or is it too late? Thanks