Octopus Go and Go Faster Tarrifs

canalsiderenovation

I've been talking to Octopus as I needed to establish if I had a smart meter (apparently I do - must have been the previous owners).

Our fix is up at the end of Feb and we are paying paying a standing charge of 13.780 per day and 14.594p kWh with Utility Point.

Octopus have some interesting tarrifs in addition to the standard 'Go' one online which is 14.63 p / kWh with a standing charge of 25.00 p / day and 5.00p kWh during the hours of 00:30-04:30.

The Go Faster additional options we have been provided with are:

Option 1. Take a 3-hour Go period at 4.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30, 02.30 or 03.30

Option 2. Take a 4-hour Go period at 5.0p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30 or 02.30

Option 3. Take a 5-hour Go period at 5.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30 or 01.30

The standard unit charge is competitive so even without any night rates so seems a no brainier but I'm not sure which of the above options are more appealing - thoughts?

The 20:30 times seem quite appealing....

It would seem like the 5 hour 5.5p tariff is the one to go for.

I think you are right with 830pm start. This would allow you pretty easily to put on the dishwasher, washing machine etc at that time.

This tariff should work well as with an ASHP your heating use will be pretty well spread over the day. If you are the kind of people who like to shower before bed then you could get most of your hot water at the lower price too.

I guess if you go to bed early and get up early you could turn off your heating at 9 and back on at 130am and have a shower at 6am. Then that start would be better

I think either the earliest or latest start is best I can’t think why someone would want an in between time.

Wish I could get it as I could run the pool filter and car charger during the night.

2 hours ago, AliG said:

It would seem like the 5 hour 5.5p tariff is the one to go for.

I think you are right with 830pm start. This would allow you pretty easily to put on the dishwasher, washing machine etc at that time.

This tariff should work well as with an ASHP your heating use will be pretty well spread over the day. If you are the kind of people who like to shower before bed then you could get most of your hot water at the lower price too.

I guess if you go to bed early and get up early you could turn off your heating at 9 and back on at 130am and have a shower at 6am. Then that start would be better

I think either the earliest or latest start is best I can’t think why someone would want an in between time.

Wish I could get it as I could run the pool filter and car charger during the night.

The only stumbling block was not knowing if I had a smart meter. I found a Scottish Power logo on it and took a pic of it and they have confirmed it is a smart meter so there should be no problems moving. Yes I was thinking that the 830am would be good for showers, baths, watching TV etc and charging things reading for logging on work in the morning - at which point we can then make use of the solar again. I'm going to call Octopus and see if they can get me on this tarrif

So does this “Go” period get added in addition to the 4 hours low cost between 00:30 and 04:30..? 

or is it just option 2 is the 4 hour period and this is an additional hour and you move your power to when you want it..?

Just now, PeterW said:

So does this “Go” period get added in addition to the 4 hours low cost between 00:30 and 04:30..? 

No they are different tarrifs - the Go one is the 00:30-04:30 is the one at 5.00p kWh.

The then have the Go Faster Tarrifs which are different prices and periods (options 1-3) so have the options of different times than the standard 'Go' one.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ahhh ok ..! So it’s about when you use it and for how long. 

Yep, slightly more expensive if you start it at say 8:30pm for example and it then depends if you want 3 hours, 4 hours or 5 hours of cheap electricity. 5 hours being slightly more expensive per kWh than 3 hours. I guess it depends on if you can get significant use of 5 hours versus 3 or 4 hours. 

I could just stay in the bath for 4 hours topping up the hot water ?

• Haha 1