Communal heating pipe removal 60s council flat

butchus

Hi all,

I'm working on a 60's council flat which has what I believe was a communal heating pipe but now the building has combi boilers (both mine and my neighbour above have combis)

Mine is a ground floor. The location of the pipe is where I want to put a fridge freezer. The neighbour above does not have this pipe so it must have been removed at some point.

Has anyone any experience removing these? Thanks

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Before you can fit a FF there, you need to get the gas pipe and gas meter moved.  Get a price for those first, it might be £££££

Re the pipe.  Listen to it with a stethescope.  If it sounds quiet and "dead" drill a very small hole and see if water comes out,  Once you are sure it is dead cut it out with an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade.

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Before you can fit a FF there, you need to get the gas pipe and gas meter moved.  Get a price for those first, it might be £££££

Re the pipe.  Listen to it with a stethescope.  If it sounds quiet and "dead" drill a very small hole and see if water comes out,  Once you are sure it is dead cut it out with an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade.

Thanks Dave, yes I do plan on getting the meter moved, apparently it can be moved up to 90cm free of charge as long as its on the same wall, not sure about the gas pipe though

7 hours ago, TonyT said:

Watch out for asbestos lagging on the communal pipe work, we renovated lots of council houses as a main contractor for the council and the main pipes were lagged in it.

worth checking for your safety and others!

Hi Tony, its just bare metal from ground to ceiling as you can see in the pic, I dont see any lagging so should be ok. cheers 

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

The council scheme we worked on, the flow and return under the floor was lagged in asbestos, sorry thought you were ripping everything out

Not sure, its a ground floor flat with concrete floor and ceiling but I guess the pipe comes from somewhere! i wont be ripping the floor up though just trying to tidy that corner up

cheers