Non thermostatic shower valves

Russell griffiths

What’s people’s thoughts on shower valves that do not have a thermostatic mixer built in. 

My last plase late we had 3 showers all with just mixing valves but no thermostatic control on them. 

My thoughts are there are less parts to go wrong, also with less parts they are cheaper 

i like the idea of cheaper and would like less bits to go wrong. 

Anybody, got any thoughts. 

Flush the bog while SWMBO is in the shower?

I have not had reliability issues with the thermostatic ones, although I have had an idiot plumber mix the hot and cold feeds on one.  If anyone does this, Grohe do one for just such eventualities.

Edited by Mr Punter

I bought relatively cheap shower bar mixers but wanted thermostatically controlled for safety. Mine are not hidden units in the wall, spares readily available as they can “give up”. Was called it to a customer who bought an “all singing and dancing” fancy shower mixer that had gone wrong, just out of warranty and £400 fir a replacement valve, no thank you!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Same as, with a manifold set up 3 separate cold feeds into bathroom. 

We have nothing so fancy.  With 6 WCs, 6 sinks, a bath and 2 showers spread over 5 floors it would make the plumbers head explode.

We have got a Grohe 1000 thermostatic shower - it has been used at least once per day (except for holidays etc) for the past 11 years and its still as good as the day it was installed.

When I bought it the chap in the in a really old local plumber merchants (been there for years and had bits stashed in every nook and corner but sadly closed a few years ago) said they were bullet proof, I have got to agree with him. We have very hard water and have never had any issues with it. When flushing toilets the temp stays pretty much constant.

The only thing that I could say negative about it is that the body gets warm after prolonged use - the two newer versions that we have recently fitted send the cold around the body to keep it cool.

• Like 1