Kingspan aeromax plus - flashing code 14?

RossG21

Hi,

So just to give you an update. I’ve had a A/C engineer out this morning to look at it. He found there was absolutely no refrigerant gas in the unit.

On further inspection he found the leak at the back of the unit on the heat exchange coil where the copper meets the aluminum. After trying to repair it by brazing it, it’s still leaking.....

So unfortunately still no heating, but it’s not for lack of trying.

So potentially now looking at another unit....

• Thanks 1

Well that’s kind of good news... at least you managed to get someone out quickly and they managed to diagnose the fault. 

Shame if it can’t be repaired. Can you get spares for it? Whats the make and model? 

Yeah the chap that came out I only emailed him last night and he came at 10am this morning. He really tried to get it going and was gutted he couldn’t.

All I know make and model wise is it’s a Kingspan aeromax plus.....I’m not sure on the kw size, I think either 4 or 6kw but just a guess.

I’ve been in touch with Carrier Uk regarding spares and they have asked me for the model. So I guess once o find out if spares  are available I can Ineed decide what to do really/whether to try and repair or go new.

The chap who came out said he always recommends the Mitsubishi Ecodan range.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is he going to persevere and have another go at fixing the leak?  It would be a shame for it to end up as scrap because of that.

He doesn’t think he can....The unit was in an awkward spot and you know when you get the feeling if you had more time and it wasn’t raining there’d be a better chance of fixing it. Quite tempted to have a go myself after seeing the cost of a new one ? 

1 minute ago, RossG21 said:

He doesn’t think he can....The unit was in an awkward spot and you know when you get the feeling if you had more time and it wasn’t raining there’d be a better chance of fixing it. Quite tempted to have a go myself after seeing the cost of a new one ? 

Can’t do any harm

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I wonder how it was originally jointed, ally to copper?, perhaps you can get that bit out and try again, do you have immersion backup for Christmas?

I doubt the leak is in a copper to ally joint, rather I suspect to a copper component close to where the aluminium heatsink fins are (I could be wrong)

Any chance of a picture of where the leak is?

If you want to have a go at fixing the leak yourself, you will find a schrader valve somewhere (car tyre valve)  Pump it up with compressed air to say 1 bar and check for pressure drop.  If you can fix the leak and get it to hold pressure properly with no drop it would be worth getting him round to have a go at re gassing it.

Don't try running it with just compressed air in there.

@joe90 yes we do thank goodness. All that is ok so at least we have hot water. 
Yeah today wasn’t ideal trying to sort the leak with the heavy rain etc. I’m quite willing to disconnect the unit and have a bash myself once I’ve taken the casing off etc exposing it properly. Thanks for the video link. 

@ProDave yeah he reckons the aluminum fins vibrate on the copper and wear over time. ??‍♂️ It certainly looked to be coming out of there, but like I say conditions weren’t ideal. I will definitely get a picture for you once I remove the unit, which I think will be after Christmas now. Yeah good idea, I’ve seen him strip down etc and quite happy to have a go etc, so I might just give your theory a test. He did say if it’s a case of re-gassing he’s more than happy to come and sort.

• Like 1