Decking ideas?

Crofter

4 minutes ago, Crofter said:

The wall with the patio door is facing west, so going round the corner takes you on to the north facing gable. So you'll onoy get sun there very late in the day in summer, but it will be out of the wind. I was thinking some sort of bench seat round there would do the job, no need for building a much bigger deck.

Likewise, the idea with the short 'L' on the integrated seating is that it tives you somewhere to sit with your back to the wind. It's not a lot of seating area but there will only be two people in this house. The ballustrade on the right hand edge of the decking would be more solid to provide a windbreak (I could even look at doing that one bit in glass?)

Cheers :-).

I knew you should have built it the other way round !

Unfortunately the best views are to the north/ north west (over the Minch to Harris). In the other direction, to the south, you're looking out over the village and on to a wind farm- so there are no windows looking in that direction!

The topography of the site also plays a part- if I had built the house the other way round it would have had the long axis running down the slope, so the piers would have had to twice the height. And I seriously doubt I would have got planning for it.

On 1/27/2017 at 17:38, Construction Channel said:

Whatever you decided make sure you treat it properly to prolong the life of your deck. I recommend Schaeffers deck sealant. 

Guess it was too subtle for me when you first posted it :D

• Like 1