First time buyers/renovators - Underfloor heating and ASHP

RogG

Hi all,

Hope you are all alright this crazy year. Very happy I've found this forum. After many years of saving, and looking for more flats than we would ever think we would see, my and my fiance have finally found a flat we could both agree on... Not the easiest of things!

The flat we've bought is electric only and the heating is done by electric heaters. The hot water comes from an Elson Coral E which holds 150L.

We are looking into putting in underfloor heating to replace the electric heaters. Do you know if an underfloor heating system could even be connected to the Elson Coral E?

Since there is outdoor space we would like to, at a later stage, add an Air Source Heat Pump to the system. Is there anything we should consider when choosing the model, type, or brand of underfloor heating so it will integrate well with an ASHP? Any gotchas when it comes to this?

Also, the interior space for a new cylinder is quite limited. I read on one ASHP fitters website that they require a full height cabinet. Do you think this could be an issue when converting to an ASHP and a suitable cylinder? These are the dimensions of the Elson Coral E, but as you can see on the picture, there is room for something taller.

Width: 560mm

Depth: 730mm

Height: 820mm

cylinder-cabinet.thumb.jpg.fcb096225a27bef7274a224b2b6dc2df.jpg

I've also attached a close up on the spec sticker of the Elson if that could be useful.

Many thanks,

Gustaf

elson.jpg

Edited by RogG

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Welcome @RogG

Quick questions - is it a ground floor flat ..? And what is behind that wall behind the hot water unit ..??

It's a first floor flat, just above a restaurant. The ASHP would be located on the roof of the restaurants extensions where they already have air-conditioners and other outlets.

7 hours ago, Temp said:

I googled the Elson Coral E and found this which looks suspiciously like a recal notice. Perhaps worth asking them if its a free upgrade? Or finding out if its been done already?

https://www.heatraesadia.com/elson/coral-e-maintenance-and-upgrade

Will check that out. Thanks!

47 minutes ago, RogG said:

It's a first floor flat, just above a restaurant. The ASHP would be located on the roof of the restaurants extensions where they already have air-conditioners and other outlets.

OK so you would need an easement / permission to do that and tbh I would be wall mounting it on your own wall but again, probably need the freeholders permission for that. 

Bigger concern would be what insulation is in the floor ..? And what is the floor made of..? You can’t dig down, and you can’t lift the floor to add insulation if there is another unit below so UFH may not be your best choice. You could use an ASHP with low temperature radiators and that is much less intrusive and easier to do as a retrofit.