I am mid boiler surgery and need to remove these horrible clips.

Our static caravan boiler would not fire up this morning, this was half expected because yesterday the extractor fan was making abnormal noises while spinning.

This morning I started dismantling the boiler to understand how to inspect or remove the fan for replacement. The fan was probably stuck because the motor coil was hot and buzzing but the fan was not turning. My usual heating plumber is off sick and advised that a few squirts of WD40 on the fan bearings might help the central heating work until he can replace the fan.

The problem is I dismantled the fan armature a bolt too far and then a captive nut fell off the back the motor assembly so now I need to dismount the whole fan motor off its rubber flexi mounts (blue) before I can reassemble everything. How can I remove the three one-way push fit spring washers photoed?

WIN_20201124_11_15_06_Scan.jpg

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Or two thin screwdrivers under the edge, one either side and lever it off. Some fit in a groove on the shaft, with these you need to prize each “finger” out of the slot to release it.

Edited by joe90

Ho hmm limited progress. All three clips are off following much pain.

The fan motor is now more mobile but does not retract fully as hoped for because the main fan inside the exhaust duct holds the main motor spindle captive, I should have anticipated this.

I cannot work out how to hold the rear nuts in place while bolting the armature and motor coil back together. Even if everything could be reassembled I doubt the fan will work because I aligned everything while wearing a rubber glove and switched the boiler mains supply back on, the fan motor buzzed at 50hz but did not turn as per the start of the malfunction this morning.

Follow-up.

After finally extracting the whole fan unit it was obvious the unit was a rusting mess, hence the mechanical protests the day before the boiler failed.

A 2.5 hour trip to pick up the only compatible replacement in Lincolnshire and now the radiators are warming up. The whole boiler sounds whisper new,.

• Like 1

Hope you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in the caravan ... playing with gas boilers - and especially the flue components - when you don’t know what you are doing is a recipe for serious issues. Even static vans are covered by Gas Safe for a reason. 

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hope you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in the caravan ... playing with gas boilers - and especially the flue components - when you don’t know what you are doing is a recipe for serious issues. Even static vans are covered by Gas Safe for a reason. 

Swmbo asked the very same question about a CO alarm 10 minutes ago.

I shall go and check the colour of the burn, test CO alarm and exhaust airflow in a few minutes.