Making rafters from locally sourced tree logs [hypothetical].

Ok so this is all hypothetical and somewhat out there but stick with it!

I was chopping down a tree in my parents garden 6 month ago to to use for various DIY projects. Recently whilst turning one of the branches into Christmas tree decorations i had a bit of a light bulb moment.

My house was built in the 1890's and my roof is built of all hand carved logs. It looks as though someone at the time chopped down local trees, carved them to shape and turned the right sized branches into rafters.

In theory could the same be done now? Because when making the Christmas decorations I noticed that after debarking, the log i was working on is the exact same size as my rafters. Say i found on Facebook or the like someone with a large tree they want pollarding or something (maybe need the whole tree felling)? Depending on the size i could get potentially a few rafters right there for free.

I assume not any tree would be suitable, i guess different species have different strengths? Would it have to be dried before fitting, if it was freshly cut the log would still have sap in it. Unless i time it near winter when the sap retreats back down. Then i guess building regulations would get involved in some or other fashion.

Yea it was just a thought i had and wondered, for someone who has the ability to actually fit them (not me) would this be do able.

Edited by Stephen cooper

I'm not 100% sure but most timber used in construction is graded either C16 or C24 standards. Google found..

https://cdn.buildresources.co.uk/sites/582/docs/BM_Trada_fact_sheet.pdf

"Building Regulations require structural timber used in buildings to be strength graded and marked dry graded".

But lots of people, including us, use green oak in construction.