GeoCeramica garden tiles

Hi All,

Expat from Scotland (now living in Amsterdam). And first post here. 

I'm doing a patio for myself using GeoCeramica tiles /slabs. First time. 

Not sure how popular these are in UK, but idea is:

• they are 4cm thick. The bottom 3cm is concrete and the last 1cm is the ceramic tile. (you can see image below)
  • It's bonded together with a super duper bonding thing.... and the (apparently) advantages are - you can put these straight down in a prepared sand substrate. Which I intend to do. We have old, compacted, 'ocean' sand. 
  • We will use a wet grout - which seals it all, but lets water permeate 

I have a few questions, and I was just wondering what your thoughts are (and experience if you have used them /similar):

1.  I was planning on using a weed fabric - do you think this is necessary? Of course shops /suppliers all say no, but I feel I should.
  2. Should I use a cement mix (1/4 for example) for the screed sand layer or just on top of sand. I've had mixed advice here. 
  3. How much is the sand likely to compact when I use a vibrating /levelling machine (or is this a 'how long is a piece of string' type question?)
  4. These tiles have 'integrated spacers' - but I do not know what size (not delivered yet). Does anyone know? (tiles are 100 x 100) - i'm wondering if I should add 5mm onto that when preparing /sizing the sand bed and placing my edging stones)
  5. I plan to use an edge like in the attached - can I just prepare these using the sane also or do I need a cement mix of sorts? 
  6. Anyone got some nicer edging advice? 

thanks!

Neil 

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 20.38.31.png

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 20.38.37.png

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 20.40.15.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Is that on top of the sand or underneath?

That's a very good question - I was being a bit summary.

If the sand base is being put straight onto the ground - ie without a subbase - then I would lay a weed membrane under the sand in order to help suppress any perennial weed seeds that might already be there, and keep the sand cleaner.

My back patio is slabs on sand on the ground, and has a membrane under the sand. I have some growth in the sand over the membrane, but it not a big problem. The main potential problem I have is ants living in the sand above the membrane. But my slabs are 900x600x50mm 65kg pressed council slabs and they have not moved in 7 years, and I hope I never have to move any again.

If a subbase is laid that may suppress weeds, then not using a membrane would be possible, or as a belt and braces I might use one to keep the materials more separate.

If the tiles are as close as these are and sand is being used then the sand should be relatively straightforward to keep clear of weeds.

If I was in Arizona I might put it on top of the sand to prevent an infestation of cactuses ?.

Ferdinand 

• Thanks 1

So.... I put a weed membrane down in the end. 

It is under the sand, and on top of other sand.... the whole garden is sand. I live on an Island from reclaimed land... it's all sand. Sand sand sand! ?

The tiles are 100 x 100 x 4. So, membrane is down. sand on top (approx 10cm)..... I will pack it with a vibrating plate and then use more sand to screed it flat. 

The tiles weight about 90kg each. And I'm intending to use a wet grout. 

I have had mixed feedback on whether I should use a cement /mix (1/6) when using a wet grout. 

will let you all know how they work out.....

thanks!

Neil