Depth Required

swisscheese

Trying hard not to overthink this...... :D

I have a bit of a bowl shaped site.

Not a problem to level out, I have the topo survey with exact levels and contours, so I would know how much to take off.

I have the drawings and the proposed levels for ground beam and the design drawings for the Pile and Beam foundation.

Bearing in mind the hight of any piling mat/Crush applied what level do I excavate to with regard to the proposed top of the RingBeam.

I'm getting mixed messages as to where I should level off to before adding the crush.

existing - High Point 21.90

existing Low Point 21.50

Propose Top of Ringbeam 21.25

Depth of Crush, I'm lead to believe 15 + Geotextile for a 8 tonne piling will be enough (correct me if I'm wrong)

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Edited by swisscheese
typo

OK @swisscheese, at this stage the only thing that's important is the piling mat level isn't it? Because you can tinker with other  levels afterwards. Right so far?

Answer these questions, and you have your answer: 

• At what level does the piling company require the piling mat?
  • Do the piles need to be trimmed after insertion? (mine need to 'lose' the top 600 mmof the stone column - the ToP level [Top of Pile Level] is 600mm lower than the raw stone column)
  • Ask for a copy of the piling mat calculation: that will tell you the difference between Geotextile added to the mat and raw stone only (mine appended as an example)
  • Piling Mat Calcs.pdf (look for the 'Required Working Platform Thickness' section)
  • Do a simple table with all your levels on it from Ridge level all the way down through FFL and top of pile cap down to top of pile: makes the whole thing much clearer.

PM me or ring me to talk it through if needed

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last couple of weeks I have had a couple of chaps out from the Piling Co. They both seemed happy enough with the "Working  Platform"

So today the Rig had turned up and the Piling team has arrived along with untold amounts of kit.

Piling starts today.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks @recoveringacademic for your words of reassurance.