Air con as a heat pump

Jilly

In my ASHP research, I spoke to a friend who recently built a garage with flat over,  heated by what he told me was an ASHP

I went to have a look, and saw a Mitsubishi unit on the outside wall and an air heating unit thing directly opposite inside the building, which, in this well insulated space, apparently works well. I didn't want to contradict my friend, and so did some research and it transpires air conditioning  units can be used as a heat pump.

So... my question is, how does this stand with BC? Is it possible they didn't notice? Or took it on face value. Could it actually be working at 300-400% efficiency as ASHPs do...? I can't see that it could work with UFH?

The inside unit had the appearance of a fugly, clumsy radiator , which is the only drawback...

Anyone have any experience of this?

Yes they are one and the same.  In this case it is an air to air heat pump. It takes heat out of the outside air, and blows that as warm air into the building.

What we generically know as an "air source heat pump" is usually an Air to Water heat pump.  they take heat out of the outside air and put that heat into water for use with under floor heating or radiators.

In most cases both will do heating or cooling.

• Thanks 1