Cistern keeps on filling

Declan52

We have a push button type cistern that won't stop filling. I have took of the right hand bit with the upside down bucket and it has a rubber washer that looks a bit worn, been in over two years now, so is it just as simple and cheap as replacing the washer or is it the complete unit that needs changing.

IMG_20170117_174840557.jpg

ours did that and we just changed the whole unit as we couldnt get the right sized washer.  Its silly - £15 for the unit when all we needed was the washer. Yo'd think they would include one as a spare.  ¬¬

I think it took us about a year to realise it was running as it was in the spare bathroom and not used very often.  Also the leak was obviously quite small and it was only when looking at it very closely could any running water be seen.  I reckon it cost us around £100 extra in the water bills till I spotted it. 

If it's gone that soon I'd say it's because the pipe work wasn't flushed out properly prior to connection. It's most likely a bit of solder / crud that's got in there, so I'd start by stripping and cleaning the valve and see if the washer / pin is blocked. 

Can't tell from the pic, but most of these modern ones can be rotated 1/4 turn ( after removing a small plastic retaining clip ) and changed like a lightbulb, as these are mostly designed to be serviced from above ( back to wall pans with no access from underneath etc ). 

If it's all exposed then I'd just change it out for a new one. The Fluidmaster range is good and not too much £££'s. 

Pro series with brass thread ;) 

This happened me previously in my old house and I replaced the diaphragm washer thing and worked on one toilet.  On another toilet I had to swap the whole thing which was relatively easy to do however the replacement I got from screwfix was very noisy when filling.

Dear wife is heading to the plumbers merchant to see if she can get a washer, if not will just change the unit. 

It is one of them 1/4 turn jobs as I had it of and looks clean enough just worn away compared to the downstairs one I also checked.