Foundations under garage door

Vijay

Evening,

Just working concrete amounts out and wondered what the point of doing foundations under a large garage door is? My garage door opening is around 5.6m wide and it seems a bit pointless unless it would be needed to support the floor slab?

I understand it would be helpful if the garage was ever to be converted and the front had to be bricked up, but is that the only reason?

Cheers

Vijay

Building control were happy with me not continuing the foundations under the garage door opening. They did mention if ever I converted it I would have to dig up that bit of floor and pour foundations but I am 100% sure I will never want to do that.

Whatever you choose you should ensure the edge of the concrete is thicker at the door especially if you are planning on using it regularly otherwise you can get cracking. 

Also put a decent garage door drain in, making sure it collects water off the door and the floor ..!!

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Whatever you choose you should ensure the edge of the concrete is thicker at the door especially if you are planning on using it regularly otherwise you can get cracking. 

Also put a decent garage door drain in, making sure it collects water off the door and the floor ..!!

Do you mean make the edge of the concrete slab thicker, so the last foot or so? Or more? how much thicker?

I was going to put a drain across the front of the whole garage door/ floor ;) 

I would make the front 250mm at least 250mm deep and slope it back at 45 degrees. 

When you put the drain in, work out where the door will sit and ensure the back edge of the drain is behind the front edge of the door so any water running down the door ends up in the drain - easier than messing about with slopes and other ways to stop water getting into the garage. 

Don't forget that most garage floors are 150mm too.