Sign in to follow this  
Internet Know How

Sheet Piling Cost

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

How much should I be looking to pay for approximately 30 linear meters of sheet piling on a supply and install hire basis. 15meters each side required on neighbour party walls 

 

We will then do a 3m dig, so I probably need 6m long sheets so we have a 50% sheet in the ground at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you plan to get them back out ..?? Surely you are better off putting them in and leaving them in - just get the tops cut off and cast a concrete footing on top and use it as the base of a wall. 
 

You could budget around the £200/sqm for sheet pile so you’re about the £10k mark for it installed depending on ground conditions. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How do you plan to get them back out ..?? Surely you are better off putting them in and leaving them in - just get the tops cut off and cast a concrete footing on top and use it as the base of a wall. 
 

You could budget around the £200/sqm for sheet pile so you’re about the £10k mark for it installed depending on ground conditions. 
 

 

Hi Peter, yes could always purchase and leave them in. There is an extractor that can be used to remove them. If they stay in, cost goes up as they are about 7k for 90x6m lengths

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

Hi Peter, yes could always purchase and leave them in. There is an extractor that can be used to remove them. If they stay in, cost goes up as they are about 7k for 90x6m lengths

 


Yep but my question was how will you get them out as you can’t sit a 12 tonne excavator on top of a basement roof ..?? If you are having to put them on to build up to the edge of the plot then how will you get the machinery in to get them out ..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PeterW said:


Yep but my question was how will you get them out as you can’t sit a 12 tonne excavator on top of a basement roof ..?? If you are having to put them on to build up to the edge of the plot then how will you get the machinery in to get them out ..?

We will have hollowcore concrete floors, but even so, might not take the weight of a 12 tonne machine. May need a large machine with good reach from the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need one heck of a machine to reach back 15m..!! 
 

I’d be looking at leaving them in or using them as part of the structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I just missing the obvious? Surely a days crane hire will have them out easy enough at far less cost than purchasing outright?🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Am I just missing the obvious? Surely a days crane hire will have them out easy enough at far less cost than purchasing outright?🤔

hopefully youre right

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Am I just missing the obvious? Surely a days crane hire will have them out easy enough at far less cost than purchasing outright?🤔


To do a contract lift you would need to know the load. How you would accurately calculate the loading of the ground “grip” plus the sheet and friction of the next pile would mean you would end up with a very big crane to ensure a safe lift. 
 

Temporary sheet piling is normally done for cofferdams and whilst retaining walls are built, and really where you have the access to drive and remove easily. 
 

TBH with this I would just drive lines of concrete piles and leave them in situ and then cast around them for the retaining basement walls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeterW said:


To do a contract lift you would need to know the load. How you would accurately calculate the loading of the ground “grip” plus the sheet and friction of the next pile would mean you would end up with a very big crane to ensure a safe lift. 
 

Temporary sheet piling is normally done for cofferdams and whilst retaining walls are built, and really where you have the access to drive and remove easily. 
 

TBH with this I would just drive lines of concrete piles and leave them in situ and then cast around them for the retaining basement walls. 

Ah, I see -  not so straightforward then. I will admit my knowledge of basements is nil, I toyed with the idea, dismissed it so left it at that. It seems there are many ways to skin the cat and the only way to work out whats best is to work with an engineer and cost the options up so you can compare them against each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this