Lightening Conductors

LSB

Our project is converting a barn, the location is at the top of a Suffolk hill, i.e. not very high or steep.

HID is wondering if, as the barn is on it's own and is higher than all the other dwellings nearby, and has a metal roof do we need a lightening conductor.

The electricity wires are on poles and there is a major pole with a small distribution unit at the top, this is about 40' away from the barn and approx 20' higher, so I guess that would get it first, but as we have a big metal roof (25m x 16m) we are wondering about us.

There is another house about 1/4 mile away that is higher.

TIA

Good question, think the risk is low and if you fit a lightening conductor it is going to be beefy to draw away from your roof but I’m afraid I’m no expert on this.

One thing that probably will be prudent is getting surge protection fitted in your consumer unit, probably about an extra £50 to £100 but has to be worth it.

Don’t forget if you install it then it has to be maintained annually. It can also increase the chance of strikes due to creating a large earth potential structure where previously other items may have got hit. Given it’s an existing building you should be able to see evidence of any previous issues. 

8 hours ago, Roys said:

One thing that probably will be prudent is getting surge protection fitted in your consumer unit, probably about an extra £50 to £100 but has to be worth it.

Surge protection won’t protect from a direct lightning strike - the current involved will cause significant damage to everything in the path to ground. 

This depends on the structure.

A metal roof on a timber frame (insulator) is a large collector area but not ground path so strikes are unlikely.

If the metal roof is attached to a steel structure then all the columns are ground paths and a strike will radiate through the roof and to ground via multiple columns with little to no damage or effect.

56 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Surge protection won’t protect from a direct lightning strike - the current involved will cause significant damage to everything in the path to ground. 

Was more thinking about fitting surge protection for strikes nearby as they are at the top of the hill, sorry I should have been clearer, the point I was trying to make is for a few quid you will get a bit more protection against lightening, granted not for a direct strike.