Porch Building Regs/planning permission

Any advise; I want to build a new front porch within the 3sqm etc required for it to be included in permitted development HOWEVER I don’t want to keep the front door between the original front of the house and new porch - am I best to seek building regulation consent for this or just go ahead and put in planning permission for essentially a front extension? I’m unsure what works out easier/cheaper as either way the porch will be build with all the required insulation etc

Planning Permission..

I would suggest that if you add a porch and remove the door at the same time then its not permitted development. Permitted Development rights allow you to "add a porch to any external door". However removing the door later appears to be ok as far as I can see.

Building Regulations..

There is a difference between "complying with the Building Regulations" and "The need to make a Building Control Application". In general everything should comply with the Building Regulations. Its not always necessary to notify Building Control or make a Buiding Control Application.

In the case of a Porch...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/46/porches/2

Building a porch at ground level and under 30 square metres in floor area is normally exempt from the need for building regulation approval.

This is provided that glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the appropriate sections of building regulations.

For a porch to be exempt from building regulations approval:
  • the front entrance door between the existing house and the new porch must remain in place
  • if the house has ramped or level access for disabled people, the porch must not adversely affect access.

So my view is you need both Planning Permission and Building Control Approval if you want to remove the door at same time. 

Ha, when I lived in Bristol I wanted to build a porch bigger then 3sqm and remove the original front door, when I applied I was told planning and building regs were not required, PD allowed this and I had to remind them of their rules etc twice before they got it!!,!. Duh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was me, I would just crack on and do it, as I think it’s highly unlikely anyone would come and look at what you’ve built anyway. 

But if you want to play it safe, build the porch, get your certificate of lawfulness, then do any amends later.