Movement Joints between brickwork and blockwork

MortarThePoint

Our design has some brickwork that adjoins rendered blockwork in the same elevation or at corners. The Structural Engineer has called for movement joints here:

image.png.875c8dc1e6359180dee84db64055620a.png

I presume that calls for the likes of the sleeved tie below, some form of foam strip and then a mastic seal on the outside. If that's correct, can anyone recommend a good foam strip to use (suggestion below) and give any guidance as what to look out for on installation?

image.png.362535de45465e9857c17f53523831d6.png

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/ancon-safetyended-movement-10367-2801192

image.png.14e8611a80a31b6700122acbffcec800.png

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/fillcrete-brickfill-100x10mm-10351-2801693

Yarp...pretty simples. You need a load of wall ties in as well either side of the expansion joint. I filled the joint on mine with a load of white silicone, render bead went over that and then all covered with render.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

That looks really smart @nod , is that some kind of plastic strip either side of mastic?

Nope. That is a plastic render expansion joint placed over the blockwork expansion joint and then rendered over.

Gives a nice clean finish for the render.

4 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Nope. That is a plastic render expansion joint placed over the blockwork expansion joint and then rendered over.

Gives a nice clean finish for the render.

Cool thanks. Does that go in at the rendering stage then? A product suggestion would be good as it always helps to see what the finished result looks like.

23 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Cool thanks. Does that go in at the rendering stage then? A product suggestion would be good as it always helps to see what the finished result looks like.

I dont seem to have any pics of my render being done. The renderers use some sort of grip (whichever brand is their preferred weapon of choice) to 'glue' all the beads in place during the prep stage. This includes the expansion bead. Once that is done and everything is covered a base coat went on, followed by mesh and then painting with primer coat and then the silicone coat went on. Took 5 blokes a week to do my house, 280m2.

They used Johnstones Storm Shield, the manufacturer have warrantied their work - if the shit was to hit the fan i have no idea if that will prove to be worth anything?‍♂️ 

Most people on here will say K Rend, that particular brand seems to have become synonymous with rendering. Much like a hoover is called a hoover when there are many other makes out there than just 'hoover'.

My renderer said Johnstones is better than KRend but then I'd be surprised if he told me KRend is better whilst working with Johnstones product. I'm sure @nod will say KRend is the mutts nut.

I think you likely end up using the product ypur contractor likes to work with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LA3222 said:

I dont seem to have any pics of my render being done. The renderers use some sort of grip (whichever brand is their preferred weapon of choice) to 'glue' all the beads in place during the prep stage. This includes the expansion bead. Once that is done and everything is covered a base coat went on, followed by mesh and then painting with primer coat and then the silicone coat went on. Took 5 blokes a week to do my house, 280m2.

They used Johnstones Storm Shield, the manufacturer have warrantied their work - if the shit was to hit the fan i have no idea if that will prove to be worth anything?‍♂️ 

Most people on here will say K Rend, that particular brand seems to have become synonymous with rendering. Much like a hoover is called a hoover when there are many other makes out there than just 'hoover'.

My renderer said Johnstones is better than KRend but then I'd be surprised if he told me KRend is better whilst working with Johnstones product. I'm sure @nod will say KRend is the mutts nut.

I think you likely end up using the product ypur contractor likes to work with.

I don’t think there is much between the two 

Except the price ?

We've got a single storey utility room at the side of the house and there is a section of brickwork wall above it. I was wondering whether the area shaded in red in the image below should to be brickwork of blockwork. This area is on the side of the main house. The SE have called for a movement joints between the external leaf blockwork and brickwork. This red area sits above the blockwork in the wall between the kitchen and the utility room. I guess the options are:

1. Blockwork: if this is the case what should the expansion joint(s) be. Should there be a full height movement joint going up the left hand side of the red area and between the brickwork and blockwork above, as well as a movement joint on the right hand side of the red area? Is a movement joint not needed on the right (and in fact a bad idea) because the blockwork there is within the roof space and therefore not external. There is brickwork over the top of the blockwork and any possible movement joint on the right.
  2. Brickwork: I guess this would just be a full height movement joint going up the left hand side of the red area and between the brickwork and blockwork above.

Blockwork is easier to install obviously.

image.thumb.png.317ab0ae4d8bb82dee92f3cfbd245604.png