roof window watertightness

deuce22

Hi.

Should a roof window be completely sealed and watertight without fitting the flashings and tiles?

I've had a roofer fit 1 of 4 windows and he has just draped the felt up the sides of the window. He didn't have time to cut the tiles around and fit the flashings before it started raining and there were two areas where water was dripping in. He said that it will be fine once the tiles and flashings have been fitted as no water will get through onto the felt. I know that tiles are not 100% waterproof and will let water through during persistent rain.

Thanks.

The flashing kit is the main thing that gives the window it's water proofing, creating internal gutters for anything that drips off the tile edges a safe route down the window onto the roof.

If he bothered taping the felt to the window upstands as per the instructions that should have been pretty watertight but "draped the felt" does not sound like dressing it correctly and taping it.

36 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

He pinned the felt up the side of the window, but it was leaking in the corner of where the felt was cut. Is it worth me going around the whole window and taping it? Whats the best tape for this?

Thanks.

Nah, once the system as a whole is installed it will be fine. This is one of those things where all the parts work together to keep it dry. When I installed my velux I installed the felt correctly but it still leaked until I fit the flashing kit.