Planning permission queries - gates

JohnHunter

Thank you in advance for helping a newcomer!

We would like to construct a pair of electric gates (maximum height 2m) at the front of our drive. We have asked our local council who say that we require planning permission first. We haven't asked for planning permission before but I am not clear about:

1. If we say the gates would be 2m at their highest point but this is considered "too high" and the council would only accept 1.8m, do they have to reject the application so that westart the process again? Or can they give us an opportunity to modify the application?
  2. If we specify a detail (e.g. hardwood posts), are we bound to this? If so, is it worth keeping the application deliberately vague (e.g. "wooden posts" rather than specifying "hardwood" or even "oak")?
  3. Is it acceptable to provide alternatives in the application. For example, when the form asks about materials, is it acceptable to state that the posts will be made of "hardwood (oak or iroko) or treated softwood". This would be preferable as it gives us room to amend the specification depending on price and which contractors are available in the future.
  4. Most people who request planning permission from our local council then have all their application documents posted online. This means that searching their name on Google immediate brings up their home address. I work in a role that makes this particularly unhelpful. Is there a way of asking that such details do not appear indefinitely online or is this part of some sort of transparency obligation?

Any help would be very welcome!

1. Some LPA’s are more helpful and accommodating than others. Some will determine the application on the information submitted while others will offer you an opportunity to provide revised drawings should concerns be raised with the submitted information. The main thing for you (or your agent) is to liaise with them during the formal determination period. If precedents have already been set locally, then that will help go in your favour.

2. Just specify timber. The main thing is you don’t show or specify timber and for them to end up being metal (for example). If the LPA request further confirmation, then they will request that. Only provide them with little but enough information as possible.

3. As above, just specify timber which will then cover all bases.

4. If you have an agent, this could be dealt with a little easier. For example, they could use your name and then for your address, they use “care of agent”. But your name would still be tied to your address as you would need to provide the location of the proposal. I know Building Control have certain systems in place that can keep certain details confidential but I don’t think Planning can or are able to do that. No harm in getting in contact with them about that prior to the submission of a formal application.

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

1. Some LPA’s are more helpful and accommodating than others. Some will determine the application on the information submitted while others will offer you an opportunity to provide revised drawings should concerns be raised with the submitted information. The main thing for you (or your agent) is to liaise with them during the formal determination period. If precedents have already been set locally, then that will help go in your favour.

2. Just specify timber. The main thing is you don’t show or specify timber and for them to end up being metal (for example). If the LPA request further confirmation, then they will request that. Only provide them with little but enough information as possible.

3. As above, just specify timber which will then cover all bases.

4. If you have an agent, this could be dealt with a little easier. For example, they could use your name and then for your address, they use “care of agent”. But your name would still be tied to your address as you would need to provide the location of the proposal. I know Building Control have certain systems in place that can keep certain details confidential but I don’t think Planning can or are able to do that. No harm in getting in contact with them about that prior to the submission of a formal application.

On 4, I don't see why you couldn't use eg a maiden name.

Or even have a friend apply as agent. Planning permission is linked to the site not the name.

I've no idea about the legalities of a pure pseudonym, but I think would be OK. ("Applicant for Demolition of Castle: Sir Oliver Cromwell, 48 Acacia Avenue, Tunbridge Wells.").

Edited by Ferdinand