Does anyone know of the best non-timber external cladding to use? we want to use a low maintenance product that will not require yearly painting or treating to maintain the look and longevity, several products are available out there but when it comes to choosing the right one it's a little bit of a minefield taking into account cost (primarily) availability, ease of use and overall appearance, any pointers or suggestions that you guy's may have would be most welcome.

Hi, I have just finished cladding my build in Marley Eternit Cedral Lap. It looks nice and is very strong but the main appeal was its maintenance free.

Its fairly expensive when you start adding all the different trims required but nothing is cheap material wise these days. The one good thing is there are a variety of different colours available to complement any build style and colour scheme. I have attached a couple of images for you.

2017-01-05 15.50.56.jpg

2017-01-07 15.27.39.jpg

2017-01-07 15.30.07.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, I'm Mrs Peter M and I'm replying on his behalf.

I think Lee has answered ProDave's question.

We are having brickwork on the single story part of our house and cladding on the top half.

It's supposed to look like a "converted" barn hopefully low maintenance.

Your place looks good Lee.  Did you cost out Hardy plank or any other type of cladding?

Hi Jane,

I did not really consider anything else as I have used Marley previously on a few other jobs. I prefer to go with what I know and allowed me to get a total cost for that side of the build. As I knew what price I paid for boards, I made sure I was given a big discount as it was for myself and that I was ordering 230 boards.

I have just priced up the different options.

Hardy only do colours 

Marley do a wood colour but come in at 14-15 a length

the cheapest wasweatherclad available from 

SIG (Sheffield Insulation)
Travis Perkins
Jewsons
Minsters

about 12-14 a length

The colours do vary so if looking for a pine colour get samples

2014 WeatherClad Scroller (1).pdf

I haven't got anything to say against Hardy Plank as I have never used it, all I know is they are 10mm smaller in width and 2mm smaller in thickness.

I got my first price through my Jewson rep which I thought was a little expensive for the amount I was ordering. I then decided to contact a firm called Southern Sheeting which I know alot of the merchants get Marley Cedral from. I got a much better price saving about £2 per board but I suppose its who you speak to on the day.

I then went beck to my Jewson rep who then miraculously managed to reduce his price by the same plus a few savings on trims. Happy Days its all about playing the game :D

http://www.southernsheeting.co.uk/ 

I found that they were a lot more expensive, but will try southernsheeting and the same with Jewsons as they hold my main self build account. Retail the difference between paint and timber finishes was something like £14 paint and £20 timber

We used Marley great product and everyone who has seen it thinks it looks good.  Its tough to cut so make sure you get some diamond blades for a good clean cust and you will use quote a few, try Vivalda, they gave us the best price on Marley Weather board.

• 2 years later...
On 08/01/2017 at 13:59, Lee Morton said:

Hi, I have just finished cladding my build in Marley Eternit Cedral Lap. It looks nice and is very strong but the main appeal was its maintenance free.

Its fairly expensive when you start adding all the different trims required but nothing is cheap material wise these days. The one good thing is there are a variety of different colours available to complement any build style and colour scheme. I have attached a couple of images for you.

2017-01-05 15.50.56.jpg

2017-01-07 15.27.39.jpg

2017-01-07 15.30.07.jpg