Brick Specials - Whoops!

MortarThePoint

Thankfully this is only for the garage, but I have been quoted 16 weeks for the plinth bricks. There are some slightly different bricks that are available quickly as well as engineering type ones. Cut and bond doesn't look great in the photos I have seen so far, if someone has some better photos that could help convince me otherwise.

Another option I was wondering is how difficult would it be to lay temporary bricks that are there for a few months until the replacements arrive and then swap those in. It may sound like madness, but I'd like to consider options as I'd like to finish the garage as soon as possible for storage etc.

A third option could be to add in just the angled part (cut off a plinth brick) later on. I've sketched this below:

image.png.bfd3a771ad9fae681a20e9cfc55f03a8.png

51 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Standards or coloured engineering ..? Off the shelf in TP

Yes that's what they say are available.

For facing brick, we're using Wienerbrger Pastorale Multi:

image.png.aada57352f5daeb95190163302f72cf4.png

And they have Warnham Red Stock (L) and Sandown Red Engineering (R) available quickly:

image.png.5dc7883a8c9b7c7b41189c9da415339d.png    image.png.3ad34e8f4a2862b093617dca17bdb6a3.png

Though somehow bricks never look like the manufacturers website. Here is a panel I put up of Pastorale Multi:

My_Brick_Panel.thumb.JPG.ef8a78882c8079dd8fe5d94d8a297234.JPG

and what I expect the Engineering brick to look like:

Eng_Brick.JPG.f6c75bf74e56d4eff0c8c311921cc4a9.JPG

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If you got a brick saw bench you could make wedges of the standard bricks - set the brick to 45 degrees and cut the face off.

I wondered about that, it would look something like this:

image.png.017e294804e14e65d1bbda5266b810d2.png

Edited by MortarThePoint

@MortarThePoint I have a load of plinth bricks left over from the house. Not sure if they would match yours - they were from York Handmade. I do intend to use them for the garage and garden room but won't  building them for a year so can get more at a later date.

2 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

@MortarThePoint I have a load of plinth bricks left over from the house. Not sure if they would match yours - they were from York Handmade. I do intend to use them for the garage and garden room but won't  building them for a year so can get more at a later date.

Thanks @LA3222 ! What are the bricks called?

It’s been a long time since but I bought specials from Cradely Special Bricks. I think the price was a bit fierce but I don’t recall there being a single bad or damaged brick in the whole batch. They were in Cradely Heath and they dealt direct to the public.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

They look nice. Is that lime mortar as well?

Nope, just white cement with a little bit of sharp sand in the mix and a 'bagged off' finish is what they call it I believe.

Edited by LA3222