Detached annex planning

Moonshine

A relative of mine has a decent sized plot in a cluster of houses in the country side.

The house size is o.k, but they want more space, and are thinking about an extension / annex.

This is where things gets interesting, also on the plot is a 100m2 workshop which is used for the relatives past-times, but has opportunity for renovation. This is about 20-30m from the existing house.

My question is what planning qould be required to turn this workshop into a habitable detached annex of the orignal house? The shape and ridge hieght of the existing workshop wouldn't change, though maybe the windows and roof construction would.

My first suggestion would be an outline permission, any thing else needing consideration.

The erection of or a change of use to form an annexe that is deemed to be along the lines of a self-contained unit would require formal Planning approval. It would also require Building Regulations approval as it’d be seen to contain sleeping accommodation.

Some LPA’s are quite strict about annexes. Some say absolutely no because they know people could look to let them separated to the main dwelling house while others would (if approved) condition it as such that its use is ancillary to the main dwelling house. There has also been occasions where LPA’s want to absolutely make sure these units cannot be let or sold separation by asking the applicants to agree and enter into a legal agreement.

9 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Some LPA’s are quite strict about annexes. Some say absolutely no because they know people could look to let them separated to the main dwelling house while others would (if approved) condition it as such that its use is ancillary to the main dwelling house. There has also been occasions where LPA’s want to absolutely make sure these units cannot be let or sold separation by asking the applicants to agree and enter into a legal agreement.

Cheers, i have just looked at the LPA's planning website for annex's and it seems that there have been a number of detached one recently that have been permitted.

So looks promising to submit a outline or full application.

My understanding is it depends what they want to use it for? The magic words are "separately occupied".

If it is to be separately occupied to the main house then planning permission is required. An example would be a fully self contained building being rented out on its own like a holiday home or occupied by a family member living there independently. Having its own address or splitting the title and selling it off would also be evidence of separate occupation.

On the other hand if the building clearly cannot be "separately occupied"., perhaps because there is no kitchen or no bathroom so the person living there has to use the facilities in the main house then normally planning permission would not be required.

The above all deals with the use of the building. There are other reasons it might need planning permission due to its size or location but see "outbuildings" on the planning portal for that..

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

These might kick in if the building is extended or knocked down and rebuilt.