Drainage (sewer) options?

Herbie

Hey everyone, hope you're all well!

Finally we have commenced work on our new build, but one thing I'm struggling to justify at the moment is mains sewage - f**k me is it expensive! We have a mains sewer 4m down in the road, but you're talking 10's of thousands to connect the property to it - I think it is just too much to justify, so I think we will probably go with a septic tank?

Anyone had this 'problem' before and what did you do?

We also have a small stream that our plot backs on to, are there options here as to how I can use this stream to carry any waste - maybe a treatment plant? Maybe we can do something with biomass? Sounds a bit grim ha.

Thanks a lot guys in advance.

If you have a water course available then what you would need is a waste treatment plant, not a septic tank.  Just about everyone on here would recommend one of the ones that work by using an air blower to aerate the contents, such as the Bio Pure, Conder, Vortex or Graff and you would typically pay about £2000 for a treatment plant plus instalation.

You would have to run your proposal past building control and you would need a discharge permit from the Environment Agency. 

You would not be the first to choose a treatment plant because the cost of a mains connection is too high, and imho discharge to a watercourse is just about the simplest sollution possible.

Cheers! Yeah I think a waste treatment plant will be best - I just can't justify 20k+ on doing a mains connection, it's extortionate.

Going to ring around a few local firms, to see what solution they recommend. I have checked the general binding rules and it looks like we would fall in line with them, so just a check with building control then.

We have a golf course at the back of us With a sewer manhole about 15 mtrs from our property Situated in a wooded area 

We contacted NW water to see if it would be possible for us to connect to this They sent someone out who said it would be possible and would workout a quote 

25k plus vat To run 20 mtrs add a manhole just inside our boundary that we could run our foul drainage into 

While would use a contractor We couldn’t without there permission 

A friend who does local Authority work said he would get about £1800 plus vat plus materials