Recommend a software package for simple schematics?

joth

I had a heating/plumbing schematic drawn up last year that I'd like to redraw and adjust myself. Anyone got recommendations for a cheap (free) tool that's good for plumbing/pipework and control diagrams?

I see lots of P&ID packages by no idea where to start 

Years ago I'd have used Visio so a nice replacement for that might be enough

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2020 at 08:27, SteamyTea said:

Have you looked at Draw, it is part of the LibreOffice suite.

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

I gave it a go, but really didn't get far - every time I try and import an image it hangs (beach-ball of doom on my Mac)

I played around with lucidchart.com yesterday and got quite far quite quickly. It's a bit annoying to connect the wires (pipes) to small components like valves, and the routing all goes a bit mental if you move things around too much, but for a free online app it's very usable.

(Still very much WIP, but gives the idea)

415564593_34SDSchematicA.thumb.png.3e0c0dd0a6b056d16851bcb0e6663e52.png

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 19/07/2020 at 09:41, joth said:

I gave it a go, but really didn't get far - every time I try and import an image it hangs (beach-ball of doom on my Mac)

I played around with lucidchart.com yesterday and got quite far quite quickly. It's a bit annoying to connect the wires (pipes) to small components like valves, and the routing all goes a bit mental if you move things around too much, but for a free online app it's very usable.

(Still very much WIP, but gives the idea)

415564593_34SDSchematicA.thumb.png.3e0c0dd0a6b056d16851bcb0e6663e52.png

Sorry to raise and old thread. But did you get very far on this as it is something I'm looking at producing for our system.  

I didn't get much further back at the time, but did recently get an autocad licence and spent some time on YouTube training videos so I can at least make simple plans with it. Not sure I'd enjoy doing schematics with it  though.

I might try nanocad sometime 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, johnhenstock83 said:

I used librecad for my extension, it's a simple, free 2D cad package. very accurate, loads of tools, easy to get started, runs on any computer.

And you can get it as a Portable App, so you can take it with you.

I have used Portable Apps in places I have worked. Gets around a lot of network and crap software restrictions, without involving the 12 year old that run IT systems.