Insulating an outhouse with single skin wall and flagstone floor

Jaqueslecont

Hi,

I'm looking to turn an outbuilding into an Airbnb type affair. It's two storeys and is attached to the main house. It's a single skin wall all around with an uneven flagstone floor.

I'd quite like to keep the flagstone floor as part of the original charm, but will this kill me with heat loss? Also the building is single skinned, so I'm guessing my best insulation method would be insulated plasterboard and thick loft insulation?

Are there any new products on the market that would be worth looking at?

Thanks

JLC

I would have thought that any building you want to turn into air bnb will come under a habitable room so will require full building regs approval. 

Have you looked into this. 

I would think keeping an uninsulated flag floor will be a complete no no, 

so floor up insulation down  concrete topping, flags back down. 

Timber wall built inside single skin wall, insulation added then plasterboard 

lots of insulation in ceiling. 

Fire escape window ???

i would talk to an architect or the local building control. 

https://www.jwpc.co.uk/does-my-airbnb-need-planning-permission/#:~:text=The success of temporary short,shows no sign of abating.&text=However%2C the continuous letting of,planning permission may be required.

The occasional letting of a property or room for short-term occupancy is not likely to constitute a change of use of the ‘planning unit’ as such – it would remain a family home, after all, under Use Class C3. However, the continuous letting of a property on a short-term basis is increasingly being judged as constituting a material change of use, for which planning permission may be required.

continues..

Edited by Temp