What kind of board should I use?

I am looking to redo the bathroom in my flat, and different builders and forums are telling me different things so I'd like to get some honest experienced answers. The bathroom will have at one end the bath and the shower at the other end, its a narrow rectangular shaped room about 1702mm width and will be 2286mm in length when knocked through. I have been told to use a variety of things so finding it difficult to choose as theres no site detailing pros and cons of which just one user over another saying something better without saying whats wrong with the first one thats mentioned.  Some of the things mentioned, aquaboard, hardie backer, delta board, cement board, jackoboard.  I was told that you only need aquaboard for the shower area and bath and not the whole bathroom itself? Also is it better to use hardibacker and cement board throughout the other areas and then tank it rather than using aquaboard at all? The reason I am slightly apprehensive is there is no window in the bathroom and its near the kitchen(kitched is directly behind it) so it will always be moist and damp can easily arise, so given that scenario I want the most water/moisture resistant, over say easiness of putting up and tiling on?

What are the best options above ?  

Based off the following two requirements which would be best: 

1. Room with no window, beside the kitchen so lots of moisture/potential dampness

2.  Ease of putting up and also tiling onto, which doesn't require skimming/plastering or tanking?

Thanks

Welcome.

Many of us here have used a product called Multipanel rather than tiles for the shower, or for the whole bathroom. It is one of these 'bathroom panel' products with a marine ply core.

Personally I would use it again, having done several bathrooms with it. It is very water resistant, and lasts a long time still  looking mint.

You also need to pay very careful attention to your ventilation.

For thinking about general questions, I did a very detailed set of articles about bathrooms I had redone at home last year. These were tiles because they were not total guttings. It is flagged accessible but contains a lot of thinking.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/blogs/entry/622-adapting-a-house-for-people-who-are-frail-elderly-or-disabled/

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, pronane said:

I am looking to redo the bathroom in my flat, and different builders and forums are telling me different things so I'd like to get some honest experienced answers. The bathroom will have at one end the bath and the shower at the other end, its a narrow rectangular shaped room about 1702mm width and will be 2286mm in length when knocked through. I have been told to use a variety of things so finding it difficult to choose as theres no site detailing pros and cons of which just one user over another saying something better without saying whats wrong with the first one thats mentioned.  Some of the things mentioned, aquaboard, hardie backer, delta board, cement board, jackoboard.  I was told that you only need aquaboard for the shower area and bath and not the whole bathroom itself? Also is it better to use hardibacker and cement board throughout the other areas and then tank it rather than using aquaboard at all? The reason I am slightly apprehensive is there is no window in the bathroom and its near the kitchen(kitched is directly behind it) so it will always be moist and damp can easily arise, so given that scenario I want the most water/moisture resistant, over say easiness of putting up and tiling on?

What are the best options above ?  

Based off the following two requirements which would be best: 

1. Room with no window, beside the kitchen so lots of moisture/potential dampness

2.  Ease of putting up and also tiling onto, which doesn't require skimming/plastering or tanking?

Thanks

The gypsum backer board out performs backer 

and is much easier to use 

Lighter and can be cut with a Stanley knife 

about £14 per 1200 x 2400 sheet 

Whatever boarding you choose you will need to get a good fan in there to extract the smells but also help to keep moisture at bay as @Ferdinand says. I seems to me than unless you are going for a full wet room tanking might not be value for money as good tiling, and the multipanel approach, sealed well to the floor / tray / bath are good enough even in the shower area. We use seam sealed Wedi board throughout our wet room here at Millstone manor, 20 years now no problems, and Hardie backer on our builds garden room wet room - no problems although that has had very intermittent use so far.

Hardibacker board is seriously strong and heavy, ideal for the heavy stone tiles we used in our bathroom. It's available in two thicknesses 6 and 12mm. The 12mm over studwork is rock solid. Not sure where/if I would use the 6mm. You should fix heavy things like cupboards to studs but lighter things could be fixed into 12mm Hardibacker using screws. The problem with Hardibacker board is cutting it. You can score and snap it but that's not always possible (eg curves or access panel holes in middle of sheets). Even TCT blades in a jigsaw struggle to cut it. It would reasonable to only use it behind a shower or bath and regular waterproof plasterboard elsewhere.

I've also used Wedi board which is a foam board covered with a thin fibreglass and cement skim. This is very nice to work with if making a tiled washstand or similar. Can be easily cut with hand saw. Glued with some builders Adhesives. Being foam based it's difficult to fix to. Screws would just pull out.

TBH I think performance needs a huge priority over cost in this case. Unless it is absolutely horribly horribly expensive.

It needs to be right.

Saving £100 or £200 on boarding is likely to be a false economy unless you know the product is as good.