Wall beam issue, Roof structure problem

Hello everybody,

I have been striping plaster in the 1st floor of my house and I have found out possible quite serious problem which I am not sure how to treat.

The wall plate overlap connection is broken and the beam itself has been pushed few cm outwards. The beams ends aren't aligned. Whole thing seems to have happened in the past and seems stable at the moment but I want to make new ceilings hanging on rafter ties and I am worried about future stability of the roof.

The idea I came up so far is to add some new rafter ties sitting slighly higher than the current ones to prevent roof from spreading further and add some heavy duty L-bend steel straps fixed to the wall and the beam. Still not sure how to reconnect two beams. Do you thinks this is feasible or have any other ideas? Should I get structural engineer to look at it?

Thank you very much for any inputs

Vaclav

IMG20200516170158.jpg

IMG20200518122634.jpg

IMG20200518122646.jpg

IMG20200518122622.jpg

I think you have answered your own question. 

new tie beams, coach bolts and washers

angle strap wall plate down to wall. 

Flat plate connectors across join

add a couple of cross braces on top of your new ties to fix left to right and right to left. 

You could increase the thickness of the tie beams, then add a vertical post to support the ridge

or look at supporting the ridge at the ends if it is dropping 

picture is a bit small, needs to show whole structure 

although i I think you have the idea. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Looks like a really old roof to me that hasn't moved in ages.

The collar ties there seem to be an afterthought and have 6" nails poking out - can't see but is there a ridge beam..??

I would go with a scissor truss here on every other rafter for safety - 1/3rd top/bottom from alternate sides, bolted through the rafters as per @Russell griffiths and then add in new ceiling rafters.

30 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not add directly to the side, you shouldn’t go higher as they lose the ability to do what they are meant to do 

the higher up the smaller a triangle you make, the lower the better. 

I was a bit too quick putting up a vapour membrane on the oposite side of the house, so I am hesitant to take it down now.. I have outrun myself here.

Edit: Oh I might actually be able to keep it in place, just be carefull. Btw what size of bolts? Is it to drill through the rafter?

Edited by Vaclav

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks like a really old roof to me that hasn't moved in ages.

The collar ties there seem to be an afterthought and have 6" nails poking out - can't see but is there a ridge beam..??

I would go with a scissor truss here on every other rafter for safety - 1/3rd top/bottom from alternate sides, bolted through the rafters as per @Russell griffiths and then add in new ceiling rafters.

Yes, everything around suggests it has not moved in ages, which is good.

There is basically a rectangle of beams around roof connected to ridge beams at the end of the house and just sitting on wall in the middle of the house.

There are also some planks(see picture) between ties and rafter but they don't seem to serve any purpose as they almost seem to be placed ad hoc and half of them is loose.

1_-_Copy.jpg

2_-_Copy.jpg

No idea how would I be possible able to move them ? (are purlins those big horizontal beams, right?)

The one closer to the camera is bended downwards and is slighly tilted to the side (visible on second pic) which to me looks almost scary, but then again it seems to be like this for ages.

I just think the wall plate has shrunk a bit. I don't see any major issues although that bit of bright blue membrane suggests there might have been a leak not so long ago, and the bearing end of the lintel looks a bit short?