What materials can go into hardcore?

carlosdeanos

I am just doing the demolition of my patio so I can dig the foundations. I am having a concrete slab floor. 

I have been saving all the stones and what I think is the previous hardcore. However I am finding a lot of half bricks, paving slabs etc. Can I chuck this all in the hardcore pile?

Thanks.

I sieved a load of my old floor through a 40mm mesh. If a bit was too big I smashed it up smaller and stuck back through the sieve. Bricks, tiles, Celcon, flints, mugs I broke whilst building so SWMBO didn't see it...

SAM_0640

Then half bags of off cement, plaster, whatever to get rid of it. 

SAM_1085

Edited by Onoff

14 minutes ago, carlosdeanos said:

@Onoff fantastic - exactly what I needed. I will smash it up a bit. It wont cause issues with the floor will it? Like its not going to sink!

Should be fine. Note I compacted mine with a whacker plate. I was basically too tight to pay out for MOT Type 2.

• Thanks 1

The base of my basement excavation was lined with 150mm deep of 'type 1' - in excess of 20m2.

After it was laid and compacted I had a look and managed to fill a wheelbarrow with taps, pipes, wood, cable and other miscellaneous 'stuff' and that was just from the surface. Looks like they just got a load of fresh crush from a local yard  - i'd swear the there were probably bits of the original house that was pulled down a few weeks previously in it. 

• Haha 1