Arched Window Installation Details

LA3222

Just sorting through some bits and realised I have yet to work out how to close the cavity around an arched window that is due to be installed. The rest of the windows have 50mm timber battens, offset slightly so I can stick some insulation in.

Has anyone here installed an arched window in a TF? If so how did you close the cavity over the arched part and also how did you go about installing a cavity tray? I have a lintel on order but the rest I'm not to sure yet.

TIA

An arch is one of the strongest structures there is, some still standing after thousands of years. 

facetted approach might be easiest then arch former over the top after plasterboard, after insulation and mitigation of thermal bridging 

Is this the inside or the outside?

For the inside presumably one could use the bendy plasterboard - ie with the slotted back, or an alternative.

We used to have a Georgian arched window which was about 3m high and 2m wide. I think the arch on the outside was done with stone, though it may have been too big to need carved stone.

I think I agree with 'faceted'.

Ferdinand

• 3 years later...

Hi @LA3222, how did you conclude your arched window cavity issue?  

I have the same problem to overcome!  BC are saying I need an arched cavity lintel which is proving hard to source! 

IMG_2253.jpeg

@Mikey iirc i ordered all of my lintels from london lintels - will have to check. Catnic do bespoke lintels, I told londonlintels what I wanted and they ordered from catnic. Catnic did a drawing and sent it through for me to sign off on pre manufacture. I've attached what they did for me.

ALN20-466 Customer (1).pdf