Need for a drainage consultant

Hi,

We're still in the planning stage of our build and whilst we wait for planning concern to come through, we're looking to address the drainage needs on site. 

We're too far away to enable us to connect to mains sewage, so need to install a water treatment system. The land doesn't seem to be acceptable for a drainfield, so we're looking to disharge to a nearby ditch. We've contacted the Environment Agency, but they've recommended we speak to a drainage consultant. 

As we also need to address rainwater harvesting and run off, this seems like an ideal time to address all of this together. 

So... can anyone recommend a good, experienced drainage consultant who can look at our overall needs? 

Our plot is just outside Melbourne in Derbyshire, so someone in the local area would be great. 

Many thanks for reading! 

• Like 1

Try MPC Services in Heanor for the treatment tank. 

Not much you need a consultant for tbh - water flows down hill, and it need to go somewhere ... shouldn’t be difficult to DIY. 

• Like 2

Peter thanks for following this up.

We're already speaking to MPC Services, now part of the Haigh Group, they've been very helpful and I'm sure we'll be looking to use them for the treatment system. 

Get what you're saying about water flows downhill, guess I'm being careful as I want to be sure this won't be a problem going forward. Our site is on Bog Lane, Melbourne so there's a clue in the name that indicates potential issues with the removal of surface water. 

Appreciate your feedback.

Dave C

Hi,

That’s an ingenious idea, but I don’t feel we’d have the room for that. 
We’re keen on the idea of rainwater harvesting, but need to investigate the cost and practicality. We’ve had some initial conversations and have the room to bury a tank, but I don’t know what size we’d need or the cost as yet. 

Capturing and reusing rainwater seems a great way of dealing with surface water, whilst also reducing our water bills, with only the excess running to a soak away. Aside from the cost of the tank and additional plumbing, are there any downsides?

Dave C

I too am on clay and very flat, I installed a Vortex treatment plant that can be discharged to a ditch even if it’s dry fir a part of the year (as long as you use a rubble drain to connect to said ditch. BC wanted a soakaway fir rainwater but I pointed out it would not drain at all and I wanted to discharge to the same ditch which currently carries all ground water anyway and he agreed. I decided against rainwater harvesting but will use a couple of tanks to collect rainwater off my workshop fir a veg garden at a later date.

Edited by joe90