Insulated Raft Design

Kernow

I’m interested to know, who has everyone used to do the design/structural work on there insulated raft foundations? And would you recommend them?

Reading various posts I see the often recommended person is Hilliard Tanner, but does the fact that we are no longer in the EU pose an issue with regards to certification etc?

Interested to know other people’s experiences as I’m not convinced that certain people that I have attained quotes from would be up to the job. 

Thanks

AFAIK, the acceptance of Irish building standards by the UK, and vice versa, predates the EU by a long while and isn't directly connected to it even now.    The UK and RoI have had special arrangements for accepting each others standards etc pretty much since the formation of the RoI, which is why, for example, you'll find things like 13 A plugs in use in the RoI, albeit under the Irish version of BS1363.  Many Irish standards are re-drafted UK standards, anyway, the exceptions being odd things like electrical cables, where the RoI insists on having T&E with an insulated CPC that's the same CSA at the two live conductors, IIRC.

Hilliard Tanner designed ours. 

His careful engagement with our site conditions enabled us to save about 17 thousand pounds on the costs associated with piling. He need not have pointed out that the piling system suggested by the geophysical surveyor were an expensive way of supporting the raft.

In addition his colleague Nick Bailey helped us with steels and glulams. 

A very good partnership. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Hilliard Tanner designed ours. 

A very good partnership. 

We used Hilliard too, and he was great when dealing with building control's questions.

Thanks for the responses. 

Interesting what you say about the UK and Ireland Jeremy. Perhaps the most important thing is to make sure the building control/warranty provider is happy with whoever we use. 

I’m hoping to diy the raft myself so don’t need a kit, just want some good designs to work off. 

I’ll try JTA for a comparison. 

16 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Thanks for the responses. 

Interesting what you say about the UK and Ireland Jeremy. Perhaps the most important thing is to make sure the building control/warranty provider is happy with whoever we use. 

I’m hoping to diy the raft myself so don’t need a kit, just want some good designs to work off. 

I’ll try JTA for a comparison. 

I think a large part of the UK - Ireland commonality comes from both the close historical connection plus sharing a border.  A great deal of Ireland's trade is with the UK, and vice versa, so it's made sense to have agreements to accept standards etc for decades.  The same applies to travel, the UK - Irish border has always been transparent, with no need for passports, since long before the EU, as the UK and Ireland Common Travel Area agreement goes right back to before the founding of the RoI, with the 1923 agreement to establish the Irish Free State .  Irish citizens living in the UK have the right to work, study and vote in UK elections, and vice versa, as well as access to health and social care.