Moving and storing composite windows

Tyrian

We ordered windows and doors just before the Coronavirus crisis deepened. It wasn’t possible to delay, so now we have windows and doors arriving before the contractors are on site, meaning that we must move them from the roadside, up our sloping drive and into our garage to be stored until we are ready for them. There are 3 pallets of windows, but one set at least must come off the pallet to fit into the garage. A friend has offered his help together with his sons as I think it improbable that the task could be done while socially distancing. I am seeking advice as to the preparation we need to do and what tools and equipment will be needed to move the windows. 

How are they being delivered, will the truck have an hiab, or do you have to supply a forklift. 

Does your window schedule have the weights on it, this is the deciding factor

65kg window two blokes can pick it up

225kg window you will need lifting gear

bit more info needed really 

my contract stated I had to supply a forklift to offload, or they would come on an hiab truck with a £700 extra charge. 

Check the sizes as if they are tall they may not go under the garage door, especially on pallets.

My preference would be to prepare a flat area with type 1 and drop the pallets there with a forklift, cover with tarpaulin until you are ready to fit.  Once you take them off the pallets they will be more difficult to protect.

Thanks for replying to my post. The heaviest element is 104kg, and it won’t clear the garage door on the pallet. Our drive way is sloping with no suitable place to store outside, but we do have (or will make!) room in the garage. 

I moved all of mine around the house even the 240kg one on a trolly with 4 large castors on the corners

its the sort of trolly you see them delivering food on at supermarkets

metal frame about 750mm x 750mm I cut a chunk of ply to fit in the frame and covered it in carpet, lift the windows on one at a time and 

PUSH. 

• Like 1